Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole is a spud lovers dream dish. It's not only filled with shredded hash brown potatoes and plenty of cheese but, a healthy dose of comfort, too.
Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole
This casserole is for the potato lovin' people at your table. I've served this hash brown casserole for breakfast, brunch and as a side dish for dinner. While hash brown casseroles certainly aren't a new phenomenon, I wanted to share my recipe inspired by that potluck favorite that's rotated among church and office dinners for as long as I can remember. You know the one, they're sometimes called funeral potatoes, topped with buttery cornflakes. There's nothing wrong with that version at all but, I have always topped my casserole with crushed potato chips. I mean, why not? Just like in recipe for Au Gratin Ranch Potatoes, it's the crowning touch.
Tips for Making Cheesy Hash Brown Potato Casserole
- This recipe can easily be halved for a smaller version.
- If you prefer, you can substitute thawed frozen shredded hash browns in place of refrigerated hash browns.
- Likewise, you can use raw shredded potatoes that you've made yourself. When doing so, I find it necessary to nuke them in the microwave for a few minutes so, they're partially cooked before combining with the remaining ingredients. You'll need around 8-10 cups.
- This is one dish that I actually prefer making with Colby cheese. If you prefer cheddar or a different flavor, feel free to adapt.
- This entire dish can be assembled, covered and chilled overnight before baking. In fact, it heightens the flavor. Allow it to sit on the counter for 20 minutes or so, to warm just a bit or lengthen the baking time.
Other Potato Casseroles to Add to the Menu
More potato love to add to your side dish rotation:
- Ham and Hash Brown Casserole
- Green Chile Queso Potatoes
- Streusel Topped Sweet Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole
- Baked Little Potatoes Casserole from Noshing with the Nolands
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole
- 2 20 oz packages refrigerated shredded hash browns Or one 32 oz frozen hash browns, thawed
- 1 medium onion peeled and grated
- 1 10 ¾ oz can cream of celery soup
- 1 8 oz container sour cream
- 1 cup half and half or heavy cream
- ½ cup butter melted
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp granulated garlic or garlic powder
- 4 cups shredded colby cheese divided
- 1 cup crushed potato chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together, hash browns, onion, soup, sour cream half and half, butter, Parmesan, egg, salt, pepper and garlic. Mix well, then add 3 cups cheese.
- Pour evenly into baking dish. Top with remaining 1 cup cheese and sprinkle with crush potato chips.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until golden and bubbly. Check halfway through baking and lay foil on top, if needed to prevent the chips from over browning.
- Let stand for 5-10 minutes then serve.
- This entire dish can be assembled, covered and chilled overnight before baking. In fact, it heightens the flavor. Allow it to sit on the counter for 20 minutes or so, to warm to room temperature before baking.