This cheesy Skillet Cowboy Rice Casserole features ground beef and chorizo sausage, diced peppers, sweet onion, pinto beans and corn. It’s a one dish meal that’s made completely on the stovetop and has the bonus of using only one pan. Serve it as is or topped with your favorite taco fixings and it’s a meal that’s sure to become a regular in your weekly dinner rotation.
Easy Skillet Cowboy Rice Casserole Recipe
My household is filled with the men in my life and to say they love hearty meals is an understatement. This hearty cowboy casserole fits the bill on every single level. We all have different schedules and at times we end up eating in shifts. Due to this, I often choose to make dishes that reheat well or hold up well to being kept warm for a period of time. Beef and rice are a filling combination and this stovetop casserole always satisfies. How to make stovetop Cowboy Rice:
- Meat – Lean ground beef and fresh chorizo sausage.
- Vegetables – Onion, poblano pepper, garlic and red bell pepper.
- Olive oil or vegetable oil.
- Liquid – Low sodium beef broth.
- Rice – Long grain rice.
- Mix-ins – Pinto beans, mild or hot Rotel tomatoes and fresh or frozen corn.
- Seasonings – Goya Sazon Coriander and Annatto Seasoning, dark chili powder, cumin and garlic salt.
- Cheese – Shredded cheddar cheese.
- Garnish – Chopped Cilantro.
How to Make the BEST Skillet Cowboy Rice Casserole
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade Cowboy Rice Casserole: Ground beef, chorizo sausage, long grain rice, diced onion, poblano pepper, red bell pepper, olive oil, beef, broth or stock, Rotel tomatoes, corn, cilantro, pinto beans, garlic salt, lemon pepper, sazon seasoning, cumin and shredded cheddar cheese.
- Kitchen tools you’ll need: A large skillet, measuring cups and spoons, a sharp knife and chopping board, cheese grater and large spoon for stirring and serving.
- Don’t be intimidated by the ingredient list, you like already have on hand the seasonings, rice and cheese plus the other pantry items that you need to make it.
- I love making this casserole with both lean ground beef and chorizo giving it an unexpected kick in flavor. If preferred, you could swap out one or the other using the same amount called for in the recipe.
- You can adapt this recipe using another variety of shredded cheese that you enjoy. colby jack, monterey jack or pepper jack cheese if you like it spicy.
- Long grain rice is definitely the way to go for this recipe as it cooks right along in the same skillet that you’ll use to cook the meat. This has the bonus of making clean-up a breeze.
- You can top this rice casserole with sour cream or a drizzle of crema, salsa, pickled jalapeno pepper slices, black olives or any of your favorite taco fixings.
- Store baked Cowboy Rice Casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in single servings in the microwave.
More Easy Casserole Recipes to Make
- This Hoppin’ John Casserole with a Cornbread Crust is a popular dish for New Year’s Day.
- Chicken and Rice Casserole is a classic that just never gets old.
- Supreme Pizza Pasta Skillet features all of the pizza toppings we enjoy.
- Stacked Beef and Bean Tostada Skillet is another dish that can be made with either ground beef, ground pork, ground chicken or chorizo sausage.
- Easy Ravioli Casserole comes is perfect for Italian night at home.
- You may also like this recipe for Skillet Lasagna from Eating on a Dime.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Skillet Cowboy Rice Casserole
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 small poblano pepper seeded and diced
- 1 small red pepper seeded and diced
- Olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 8 oz lean ground beef
- 8 oz fresh chorizo sausage casing removed
- 1 32 oz container low sodium beef broth
- 1 1/2 cup long grain rice
- 1 15 oz can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 10 oz can mild or hot Rotel tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 2 packets Goya Sazon Coriander and Annatto Seasoning
- 2 Tbsp dark chili powder
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic salt Or to taste
- 1 tsp lemon pepper
- 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- 2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet cook the onion and peppers in a few drizzles of olive oil. Season lightly with salt and black pepper.
- Cook for 3 minutes over medium high until beginning to brown then add the garlic. Cook for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add th ground beef and chorizo. Continue to cook until no pink remains in the meats. Drain any excess fat from the pan.
- Increase the temperature to high. Add the beef broth, rice, pintos, Rotel tomatoes, corn, Sazon, chili powder, cumin, garlic salt and lemon pepper. Bring to a boil stirring until combined.
- Cover and lower the heat to low. Simmer for 20-25 minutes until the rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Uncover and mix in the cilantro. Top with cheese. Remove from the heat and cover allowing the cheese to melt or melt under the broiler in the oven.
- Serve immediately.