This Black Forest Lush features layers of chocolate and cherries sandwiches together with whipped cream and pudding. It begins with a rich brownie-like crust topped with a sweet whipped cream cheese layer. Over the cream cheese layer is a thick sweet cherry pie filling then a layer of chocolate fudge pudding. The top is frosted with with plenty of whipped cream and a sprinkle of grated chocolate, it’s then finished with the proverbial cherries on top.
Easy Black Forest Lush Recipe
What is a layered lush? Lush desserts are basically a layered dessert that comes in many different flavor combinations. This black forest version starts with a rich buttery crushed Oreo cookie crust. A whipped cheesecake-like layer is next topped with cherry pie filling and a layer of chocolate pudding. The top is frosted with whipped cream and a sprinkle of grated chocolate. I like to garnish it using maraschino cherries but you can finish this dessert any way that you like. Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade Black Forest Lush recipe:
- Crust – Crushed Oreo cookie crumbs mixed with melted butter.
- Cream Cheese Layer – Two 8 ounce blocks of plain cream cheese, powdered sugar and Cool Whip or the equivalent of fresh whipped cream.
- Cherry Layer – Two cans of cherry pie filling.
- Chocolate Layer – Instant chocolate fudge pudding mix and whole milk. You could also use half and half.
- Flavoring – Almond extract.
- Garnish – Grated chocolate and maraschino cherries.
How to Make the BEST Black Forest Lush Recipe
- Kitchen tools you’ll need to make homemade Black Forest Lush: Large bowl, medium bowl, stand mixer or hand mixer measuring cups and spoons, grater and 13 x 9 inch baking dish or pan.
- These sorts of desserts are meant to be simple so I highly recommend using Cool Whip or a private store brand of frozen whipped topping that you enjoy to keep the process easy.
- Whipped topping is also more stable and will last longer which is important for make ahead preparation.
- The recipe allows enough whipped topping to decorate the tops as pictured. Should you choose to simply frost the top you may only need two containers.
- There are many brands of pie filling available on the grocery store baking aisle. Use a quality brand that you enjoy.
- Classic Oreo sandwich cookies are what I use for the crust in this recipe. They result in a brownie-like taste. You could use another chocolate wafer cookie or even chocolate graham crackers, if desired.
- If you’re unable to find chocolate fudge instant pudding mix you can use classic chocolate pudding mix with no other adjustments needed.
- Allow ample time for the cream cheese to soften prior to combining it with the whipped cream. If you forget to set it out on the counter, use the soften function on your microwave.
- The grated chocolate used for garnishing to top can be a Hershey’s candy bar or baking chocolate. Use the fine grate side of a cheese grater to add it to the top.
- Layered desserts need chill time in the refrigerator to set. This lush should be made at least 4-6 hours in advance or overnight.
- Store Black Forest Lush chilled in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
More Easy Lush and Layered Desserts to Make
- Lemon Lush with white chocolate and macadamia nuts in the crust.
- Banana Pudding Lush is sure to become a family favorite.
- Chocolate Fudge Lush is the original flavor that’s tried and true.
- This Coconut Cream Lush is simply delicious.
- Everyone flips for this Banana Split Lush.
- Decadent Caramel Banana Pudding Lush.
- Island inspired Hawaiian Pineapple Coconut Lush.
- You may also enjoy this recipe for Pistachio Lush from The Midnight Baker.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Black Forest Lush
- 3 1/2 cups crushed Oreo cookie crumbs divided
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 2 8 oz blocks plain cream cheese softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 8 oz containers of whipped topping i.e. Cool Whip or similar
- 2 18 oz cans cherry pie filling
- 2 3.4 oz instant chocolate fudge pudding
- 3 cup whole milk
- 1/4 tsp pure almond extract
- grated chocolate
- marachino cherries for garnishing
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly spritz the bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Crust: In a medium bowl, toss together 3 1/4 cups of Oreo cookie crumbs with melted butter. Press firmly onto the bottom of the baking dish. (Reserve 1/4 cup for garnishing)
- Place into the oven and bake for 15 minutes or just until set. Cool completely.
- Cream Cheese Layer: In a medium bowl use an electric mixer to whip together cream cheese and 1 cup powdered sugar. Beat for 2 minutes or just until fluffy and smooth.
- To the cream cheese add one 8 oz container of whipped topping. Beat just until combined then spread evenly over the crust.
- Cherry Layer: Spread the cherry pie filling over the cream cheese layer.
- Chocolate Pudding Layer: In a medium bowl, use an electric mixer to whip both packages of chocolate fudge pudding mix with milk and almond extract. Whip until thickened, but still pourable. Spread over the cherries.
- Frost the top with the remaining whipped topping.
- Garnish with maraschino cherries, remaining crushed 1/4 cup Oreos and grated chocolate, if desired.
- Chill in the fridge for at least 4-6 hours (or overnight) before cutting.