These Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes are slightly sweet with a hint of vanilla and the amazing flavor burst of fresh blueberries!. This is one the entire family will want over and over again. While I adore pancakes for breakfast or brunch my favorite time of day to have pancakes is for dinner. Perhaps it's because of the comfort factor that makes them perfect to soothe the soul after a hectic day.
Blueberry Buttermilk Pancake Making Tips
When making pancakes from scratch there are a couple of things to know.
- First, after whipping up the batter allow it to sit on the counter and rest for 10-15 minutes so the baking powder can activate and give the pancakes a more fluffy texture.
- You can fry pancakes in butter or vegetable oil but my preference is a mixture of both.
- Rule of thumb to keep in mind is 1 Tbsp butter to 2 Tbsp of vegetable oil. This combination gives the pancakes a crisp golden crust around the edges and the scrumptious taste of butter, too.
- It's best to only flip pancakes once so, regulate the temperature of the pan keeping it around medium to medium high.
- Wait to turn when you see bubbles all throughout the batter and the edges look dry when gently lifted.
More Helpful Hints for Making Pancakes
Sprinkle the berries over the batter in the amount that suits you. Don't go crazy, remember you can always serve more on the side. If you aren't using a griddle and making these pancakes in smaller batches, keep the pancakes warm between batches on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper in a 200°F oven. Have plenty of pure maple syrup and softened butter nearby for serving and treat your family to a pancake feast any time of day. See also Sheet Pan Pancakes, Delicate Cream Cheese Pancakes and Banana Chocolate Chip Pancakes.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes
- 2 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cup whole buttermilk
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 pints fresh blueberries divided
- Vegetable oil and butter for frying
- In a medium size mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the buttermilk, melted butter, eggs and vanilla.
- Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry mixing just until fully combined. Rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Heat 1 Tbsp butter and 2 Tbsp vegetable oil in a griddle or non stick skillet. Use a 4 oz ice cream scoop to divide the pancake batter. Fry in small batches.
- Sprinkle each pancake with blueberries. Fry until the batter bubbles and the edges are golden then turn. Around 2-3 minutes.
- Keep warm on a baking sheet in a 200°F oven.
- Serve with additional blueberries, a pat of butter and drizzled with maple syrup.