Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Bread And Butter Refrigerator Pickles
- 8-9 cups thinly sliced pickling cucumbers
- 1 jumbo Vidalia onion quartered & thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups white distilled vinegar
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 Tbsp celery seed
- 2 tsp mustard seed
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes [more or less to your taste]
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 6 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- Thoroughly clean and trim the ends of the cucumbers then slice. [1/4" or thinner]
- Layer the cucumbers and sliced Vidalia onion in a large glass, stoneware or stainless steel bowl.
- On the stovetop combine the remaining ingredients in a saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Pour the hot brine over the cucumbers and onions.
- Place a plate on top and press to weigh down the cucumbers keeping them covered with the brine. Cover tightly.
- Chill for 24 hours, then stir. Keep chilled, and gently stir once per day for 1 week.
- The pickles become more flavorful the longer they sit.
- Store in tightly sealed jars in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
The longer these pickles sit in the brine the more flavor they absorb. Slice them to your preference, but keep in mind, the thinner the pickle, the more quickly it will absorb the flavors of the brine.