Gooey Butter Cake
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Caramel Praline Pecan Gooey Butter Cake
Servings: 20 pieces
- 1 15.25 oz box caramel cake mix
- 1/2 cup caramel bits i.e. Kraft OR bits-o-brickle
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 8 oz softened cream cheese
- 1 cup butter divided and melted [2 sticks]
- 1 1/2 cups pecan pieces toasted
- 4 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 tsp pure vanilla
- pinch of salt
- caramel ice cream topping or dulce de leche, melted
- 1/2 cup praline pecan pieces OR bits-o-brickle
- fresh whipped cream or frozen whipped topping thawed
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 13 x 9 inch glass baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside. Spread 1 1/2 cups of pecan pieces in a single layer on a baking sheet. Toast for 6-8 minutes, then set aside to cool.
- In a mixing bowl of a stand mixer add the cake mix, one stick of melted butter and one egg.
- Mix for 1-2 minutes until thoroughly combined, then press the crust evenly onto the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle 1 1/2 cups of toasted pecans and 1/2 cup of caramel bits (or bits-o-brickle) evenly over the crust.
- In the same mixing bowl, mix together the softened cream cheese, sweetened condensed milk, flour, salt and vanilla. Whip on medium-high speed for 2-3 minutes until the cream cheese is completely smooth.
- Add the remaining stick of melted butter and 3 eggs one at a time. Mixing well after each addition. Lower the mixer speed and slowly mix the powdered sugar into the filling. Beating until fully combined 1-2 minutes. Pour the prepared filling evenly over the crust.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes depending on your oven. Test for doneness by gently shaking the dish. The center will be done but still "gooey."
- Allow the cake to rest on the counter for at least 2 hours to cool and set before cutting.
- Just before serving, drizzle with caramel, garnish with praline pecans and whipped cream.
- Store leftovers chilled.
Caramel Bits can be found on the baking aisle of most grocery stores with the baking chips. They're soft, round caramels. If you're unable to find, substitute bits-o-brickle instead.