This Caramel Praline Pecan Gooey Butter Cake features bits of caramel, praline pecans and sheer decadence. It's unapologetically rich making it ideal for sharing with friends and family for any special occasion.
Caramel Praline Pecan Gooey Butter Cake Recipe
Gooey butter cake recipes have been around for decades and the origination isn't from the South. The original gooey butter cake hails from St Louis Missouri. It's a buttery made-from-scratch gooey cake thought to be the result of a bakers mistake. Through the years it has morphed into this cake mix version which has in fact been rotating through Southern kitchens longer than I've been on this earth. I love this easy cake mix version and the flavor combinations are truly endless. This caramel praline variation is rich and gooey just like a special dessert should be.
How to Make the Best Caramel Praline Pecan Gooey Butter Cake Recipe
One special thing I love about this caramel praline pecan version is the top forms a fabulous golden caramelized crust thanks to the sweetened condensed milk. One bite of this delicacy and thought I heard angels sing. This cake lives up to its name, it's unapologetically gooey and rich.
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Caramel Praline Pecan Gooey Butter Cake: One box Caramel OR Butter Pecan Cake Mix, melted butter, cream cheese, sweetened condensed milk, powdered sugar, caramel bits (i.e.e Kraft Caramel Bits) or English toffee bits (Bits-o-Brickle) chopped pecan pieces, vanilla extract, all purpose flour and salt.
- Kitchen gadgets you'll need: A 13 x 9 inch baking dish or pan, a hand mixer or a stand mixer, measuring cups and spoons and mixing bowls.
- If you're unable to fins caramel flavored cake mix or butter pecan cake mix you can use a butter cake mix, instead.
- The purpose of the all purpose flour in the filling is to add stability, don't be tempted to skip it.
- The biggest mistake anyone can make with gooey butter cake is to overbake it. It's meant to be gooey. When checking for doneness, if there's still movement in the very center after baking for 40-45 minutes, when gently shaken, it's done.
- Allow time for the cake to set and firm slightly before cutting.
- Store leftover Caramel Praline Pecan Gooey Butter Cake chilled in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
More Gooey Butter Cake Recipes to Make
I have several gooey butter cake recipes here in the recipe index and sometimes refer to them as "Chess Bars" too. Other gooey butter cake flavors you may like to try:
- Mocha Molten Lava Gooey Butter Cake features to glorious combination of coffee and chocolate.
- Strawberries and Cream Gooey Butter Cake is always a crowd pleaser.
- Banana Pudding Gooey Butter Cake is a fusion of two favorites.
- Orange Creamsicle Gooey Butter Cake is a bite of sunshine.
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Gooey Butter Cake from the Girl Who Ate Everything.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Caramel Praline Pecan Gooey Butter Cake
Servings: 20 pieces
- 1 15.25 oz box caramel OR butter pecan cake mix
- ½ cup Kraft caramel bits OR bits-o-brickle
- 1 ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 8 oz softened cream cheese
- 1 cup butter divided and melted [2 sticks]
- 1 ½ cups pecan pieces toasted
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
- pinch of salt
- caramel ice cream topping or dulce de leche, melted
- ½ cup praline pecan pieces OR bits-o-brickle
- fresh whipped cream or frozen whipped topping thawed
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 13 x 9 inch glass baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside. Spread 1 ½ cups of pecan pieces in a single layer on a baking sheet. Toast for 6-8 minutes, then set aside to cool.
- In a mixing bowl of a stand mixer add the cake mix, one stick of melted butter and one egg.
- Mix for 1-2 minutes until thoroughly combined, then press the crust evenly onto the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle 1 ½ cups of toasted pecans and ½ cup of caramel bits (or bits-o-brickle) evenly over the crust.
- In the same mixing bowl, mix together the softened cream cheese, sweetened condensed milk, flour, salt and vanilla. Whip on medium-high speed for 2-3 minutes until the cream cheese is completely smooth.
- Add the remaining stick of melted butter and 3 eggs one at a time. Mixing well after each addition. Lower the mixer speed and slowly mix the powdered sugar into the filling. Beating until fully combined 1-2 minutes. Pour the prepared filling evenly over the crust.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes depending on your oven. Test for doneness by gently shaking the dish. The center will be done but still "gooey."
- Allow the cake to rest on the counter for at least 2 hours to cool and set before cutting.
- Just before serving, drizzle with caramel, garnish with praline pecans and whipped cream.
- Store leftovers chilled.
Caramel Bits can be found on the baking aisle of most grocery stores with the baking chips. They're soft, round caramels. If you're unable to find, substitute bits-o-brickle instead.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 429kcal | Carbohydrates: 48g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 91mg | Sodium: 322mg | Potassium: 57mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 27g | Vitamin A: 478IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 18mg | Iron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Mention @melissassk or tag #melissassk!
Come on over, Didi! 🙂
I think I just literally drooled on my shirt!!!!
ANYTIME...you know you are always welcome at my table!! One condition...you gotta make those smokin' ribs for me!! Love ya!
this looks delicious!!! can i have a slice??? sw☺