If you think gooey butter cakes weren't rich enough, wait until you try this Banana Pudding Gooey Butter Cake. It's a grand fusion of two beloved Southern favorites. Garnished with whipped cream and vanilla wafers it gives a glimpse of the flavors inside.
Easy Banana Pudding and Gooey Butter Cake Recipe
I've had a lifelong love and obsession with banana pudding. Aside from pound cake, it's in my earliest of dessert memories as a girl and that equates to the dessert equivalent of comfort food for me. Whether it's old fashioned banana pudding, banana pudding cupcakes, banana pudding dip, the list of variations goes on and on. Because of this, I can't help myself, I keep dreaming up more ways to enjoy the same flavors in other forms. Enter gooey butter cake.
How to Make the Best Banana Pudding Gooey Butter Cake Recipe
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Banana Pudding Gooey Butter Cake: One box of yellow or golden vanilla cake mix, melted butter, powdered sugar, cream cheese, large eggs, bananas, instant banana cream pudding mix, vanilla wafers and whipped cream for garnishing.
- Kitchen gadgets you'll need to make gooey butter cake: Mixing bowls, a mixer either a hand mixer or a stand mixer, mixing bowls, measuring cups and spoons and a 13 x 9 inch baking dish. You'll also need a Ziploc bag with the corner cut off to dollop whipped cream on top or a piping bag fitted with an open star tip.
- There's no need to use a clean bowl or wash the beaters between making the layers of this cake. It all ends up baking into one gooey conglomeration of deliciousness anyway and won't make a difference.
- Please note, there are layers to gooey butter cakes. While the recipe uses one cup of melted butter total, they're used separately. It's best to melt them separately to be certain you're getting the propper amount into each layer.
- The biggest mistake you can make with gooey butter cakes is overbaking them. When checking the cake for doneness, give it a gentle shake. If there's still a small amount of movement in the center, it's ready to come out of the oven.
- Store leftover banana pudding gooey butter cake chilled in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
More Southern Banana Pudding Desserts to Make
There are many other banana pudding variations to add to the dessert menu. A few additional recipes you may like to try:
- Old Fashioned Banana Pudding topped with billows of meringue.
- Kids of all ages love my Banana Pudding Cupcakes.
- Banana Pudding Dip is a dessert dip everyone will love.
- My Easy Banana Pudding recipe requires no cooking at all.
- Banana Pudding Ice Cream recipe will knock your socks off.
- Banana Pudding Crinkle Cookies from Will Cook For Smiles for a fun weekend baking project.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Banana Pudding Gooey Butter Cake
- 1 15.25 oz box yellow cake mix
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks) melted separately
- 4 large eggs
- 1 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 3.4 oz box instant banana cream pudding
- 3 medium ripe bananas mashed [1 cup]
- Fresh sweetened whipped cream
- 20 whole vanilla wafers
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and lightly spray a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside. In a medium size mixing bowl using an electric mixer, beat together the cake mix, ½ cup melted butter and 1 egg. Beat until fully moistened then press onto the bottom of the baking dish.
- In the same bowl, cream together the cream cheese, ½ cup melted butter, powdered sugar, banana cream pudding mix and vanilla. Beat until combined.
- Add the remaining 3 eggs one at a time, beating well after each. After all of the eggs have been added increase the speed of the mixer and beat for 1-2 minutes until pale yellow and fluffy. Mix in the mashed banana by hand. Spread onto the crust.
- Place into the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes or until set. Cake should still "jiggle" when gently shaken. Don't over bake. Cool completely on a baking rack then chill thoroughly.
- To serve, divide into 20 pieces lightly dust with powdered sugar and garnish each piece with whipped cream and a vanilla wafer.
- Store leftovers chilled.