This oh-so-pretty Strawberries and Cream Gooey Butter Cake is a sheet cake with a dreamy filling that remains gooey after baking. This flavor begins with a foundation of strawberry cake mix, egg and butter. It’s topped with a strawberry cream cheese filling with more butter and eggs and a few fresh berries for texture. After baking, it’s topped with a light dusting of powdered sugar and a dollop of whipped cream then garnished with fresh strawberries. If you think that sounds magical, just wait until you serve it, not a crumb will be left behind.
Where Did Gooey Butter Cakes Originate?
Contrary to popular thought, gooey butter cakes didn’t originate in the South nor did a famous cooking personality invent them. The original St Louis gooey is very different from this cake mix version that does in fact seem to have its roots in the South. I can remember seeing all sorts of gooey butter cake flavors shared at church potlucks as a little girl. They were often called chess bars or gooey chess cake or the name we all know best, gooey butter cake. It’s a fun cake to make, and they tend to transport well which undoubtedly helped turn it into a potluck favorite.
I have several flavors and gooey butter cake variations here on my website and I even won a National Baking Contest several years ago in the early days of my blog, with my Caramel, Chocolate Almond Gooey Butter Cake which features dulce de leche in the filling. It’s amazing! Make this strawberry gooey butter cake in advance and chill then dust with powdered sugar and garnish with whipped cream and strawberries just before serving. It’s guaranteed to wow your family and friends.
Other gooey butter cake recipes to try:
- Orange Creamsicle Gooey Butter Cake
- Banana Pudding Gooey Butter Cake
- Original Gooey Butter Cake
- The Best Gooey Butter Cake Bars
It doesn’t matter which flavor combination you prefer, gooey butter cake always makes a welcome addition to the dessert table.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Strawberries and Cream Gooey Butter Cake
- 1 15.25 oz box strawberry cake mix
- 4 large eggs divided
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks) melted separately
- 1 8 oz strawberry cream cheese, softened
- 1 tsp pure strawberry extract
- 1/2 tsp pure almond extract
- 1 16 oz powdered sugar
- Few drops red food coloring optional
- 1/3 cup finely diced firm strawberries
- Whipped cream and additional cubed strawberries for garnishing
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat together the cake mix, 1 large egg and 1 stick melted butter. Mix until fully moistened then press evenly into the bottom of the baking dish.
- In the same mixing bowl cream together the cream cheese, strawberry and almond extracts.
- Add 3 eggs one at a time beating well after each addition. Whip until the mixture is smooth and slightly thickened, this may take several minutes.
- Once smooth, whip in the remaining 1 stick (1/2 cup) melted butter.
- Lower the speed of the mixer and gradually add the powdered sugar. After all has been added, add 2-3 drops red food coloring. Increase to medium-high beating for 1 minute or until completely smooth.
- Mix the diced strawberries in by hand.
- Pour the filling over the cake mix layer. Spread evenly.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until puffed and the center still moves when gently shaken. Do not over bake.
- Cool completely and chill. Serve dusted with powdered sugar and a dollop of whipped cream and additional berries, if desired.
- Store leftovers chilled.