Savory additions to a plain biscuit, makes for a refreshing change and these Cheddar Bacon and Fresh Chive Biscuits never disappoint. These drop biscuits feature sharp cheddar cheese, crisp crumbled bacon and fresh chives for the perfect flavor trio. They bake crispy and golden on the outside with a soft tender interior.
The South's Love of Biscuits Featured in Cheddar Bacon and Fresh Chive Biscuits
Biscuit making in the South is an art form. Each baker has their own style with differing opinions on what technique makes the lightest and fluffiest biscuit often a simple reflection of how we were taught to make them. For me, it depends on how I plan to serve the biscuits. Some I make in a classic style due to the intended toppings depending on the fact if they're savory or sweet. In this case, a few simple additions elevate them to a tasty dinner bread. You can enjoy these biscuits for breakfast with eggs & orange marmalade, or for dinner in place of a dinner roll. Either way, they're delicious!
Drop Biscuit Making Tips
- Use an ice cream scoop to divide the dough and skip the rolling and cutting.
- For a timesaver, cook and crumble the bacon, shred the cheese and chop the chives in advance, then seal tightly in storage bags and chill.
- A cast iron skillet is ideal but, any similar size oven safe skillet or dish will work.
- Experiment with the cheese using any flavor that you enjoy in the same amount.
- Do you need to improvise and make your own self rising flour? See how and along with other common Baking Substitutions here.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Cheddar, Bacon and Fresh Chive Biscuits
Servings: 14 biscuits
- 2 cups self rising flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground mustard
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 tablespoon melted butter [Plus add'l for brushing the tops]
- ¼ cup freshly chopped chives
- 8 slices bacon cooked & crumbled
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Butter a 10 inch cast iron skillet or similar. Set aside.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, mix the flour and all of the seasonings together until well blended. You can use a whisk for this step,
- Make a well in the center then add the buttermilk, melted butter, and chopped chives. Using a spatula, stir together until the dough is completely moistened, being careful not to over mix.
- Mix in the crumbled bacon and cheddar cheese until it's thoroughly distributed.
- Using a 2 ounce ice cream scoop to divide the dough placing side by side in the skillet.
- Brush the tops with melted butter and bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and brush lightly with additional butter. Serve immediately.
You can make a larger version by using a 4 ounce ice cream scoop. Bake larger size biscuits for 12-14 minutes until golden. When making larger biscuits you can expect to yield approximately 10-12 dinner size biscuits.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 191kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 27mg | Sodium: 347mg | Potassium: 81mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 275IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 83mg | Iron: 1mg