Cheddar, Bacon & Fresh Chive Biscuits
- 2 cups self rising flour
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 Tbsp melted butter [Plus add'l for brushing the tops]
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped chives
- 8 slices bacon cooked & crumbled
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, mix the flour and all of the seasonings together until well blended. You can use a whisk for this step, it's my favorite "go to" sifter in my kitchen!
- Add the buttermilk, melted butter, and chopped chives. Using a spatula, stir together until the dough is completely moistened, being careful not to over mix. We want these biscuits to be light and fluffy, and too much mixing can make the dough dry and tough.
- Mix in the crumbled bacon and cheddar cheese until it's thoroughly combined.
- Using a 2 ounce ice cream scoop, scoop the dough onto the baking sheet. You'll need to leave approximately 2 inches between each biscuit.
- Brush the tops with melted butter and bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and brush lightly with additional butter.
- Serve immediately.
You can make a larger version by using a 4 ounce ice cream scoop. Bake larger size biscuits for 12-14 minutes until golden. When making larger biscuits you can expect to yield approximately 10-12 dinner size biscuits.