These scratch made soft and buttery Cheese Rolls are a savory riff on cinnamon rolls. The homemade yeast dough is stuffed with a mouthwatering buttery cheddar cheese and green onion filling that takes them to another level.
Easy Cheese Rolls Recipe
The homemade dough for these savory cheese rolls is made completely from scratch. It's made and rolled-up jelly roll style just like sweet cinnamon rolls. To make them you'll need a stand mixer, mixing bowls, measuring cups and spoons, a cheese grater, a sharp knife and chopping board, a large non stick rolling surface and a 10 inch cast iron skillet or similar size oven safe skillet.
How to Make the Best Cheese Rolls Recipe
These homemade rolls are really indulgent in taste. You could make them smaller or appetizer size by rolling the dough and cutting it into smaller pieces.
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Cheese Rolls recipe: Warm milk, active dry yeast, granulated sugar, large eggs, vegetable shortening and all purpose flour.
- For the filling you'll need: Shredded sharp cheddar cheese, grated Parmesan cheese, green onions or chives and garlic. You'll also need softened butter for the filling and skillet and melted butter to brush the tops.
- These cheese rolls are special so I highly recommend taking a few minutes to grate the cheddar cheese fresh by hand. No bagged cheese.
- When chopping the green onions for the filling, think finely chopped, big pieces won't work here.
- If you don't have a stand mixer, you can go old school and knead the dough by hand on the counter. The same rule applies, knead the dough for 5-7 minutes or until it becomes smooth and elastic.
- Use a super sharp knife to cut the cheese rolls into rounds. If you use a dull knife, it will crush the dough while cutting.
- When arranging the rolls in the skillet, try for even spacing between each piece reshaping into rounds as needed. If you don't they will bake wonky with some having more room than others to spread.
- You can make and assemble these rolls then place into the refrigerator overnight for the final rise. When doing so, give them 30 minutes or so on the counter to warm slightly prior to baking.
- Store leftover cheese rolls at room temperature or chilled for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave in single serving portions.
- You can also freeze these Cheese Rolls for up to 2 months. Thaw in the refrigerator and gently reheat in the microwave.
More Southern Style Homemade Rolls and Bread Recipes to Make
Bread making is one of those tasks that always seems to being the oohs and aahs to the table. It has the bonus of making the house smell amazing, too. More homemade rolls recipes you may like to try:
- Easy No Knead Yeast Rolls uses a technique for homemade bread making that bakers of all skill levels can make.
- My Orange Cinnamon Rolls recipe is a citrus twist on classic cinnamon rolls.
- My recipe for Apple Pie Cinnamon Rolls is a fusion sweet treat you can serve for breakfast, brunch or dessert.
- Cranberry Orange Sweet Rolls are a holiday must-make featuring those seasonal flavors we all love.
- Twisted Cinnamon Rolls are baked in a cupcake pan and the dough is twisted to give it a gorgeous presentation.
- Cinnamon Raisin Rolls from Rachel Ray Magazine.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Cheese Rolls Recipe
- 1 cup warm whole milk (105-110°F)
- 2 (0.25 oz each) packets active dry yeast
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup solid vegetable shortening cubed
- 3 ¼-3 ½ cups all purpose flour plus additional as needed for rolling
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoon unsalted butter divided use (1 tablespoon for skillet 2 tablespoon for filling)
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (freshly grated)
- ½ cup finely chopped green onions
- 4 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese divided use
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1-2 tablespoon unsalted butter melted to brush tops
- To make dough: In a large mixing bowl combine milk and yeast; stir until yeast is dissolved. Stir in sugar. To the bowl add egg, vegetable shortening, 1 cup flour, and salt. Beat on low speed using an electric stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat until combined then increase speed of mixer to medium, beating for 3 minutes.
- Switch to the dough hook. With the mixer on low speed, add additional 2 cups of flour. Once added, add additional flour 1 tablespoon at a time until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Increase the speed and knead for 3-5 minutes or until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a soft dough that's not sticky. Shape dough into a smooth ball.
- Place in a clean and greased bowl; turn once. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled.
- Punch dough down to release air then turn out onto a lightly floured non stick surface. Cover with a towel and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Brush a 10 inch cast iron skillet or springform pan with 1 tablespoon softened butter. In a medium bowl combine shredded cheese, 2 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, green onion, and granulated garlic.
- Roll dough to roughly a 15x12-inch rectangle. Spread 2 tablespoon softened butter over the dough then sprinkle cheese mixture over dough rectangle from end to end leaving a ½ inch border. Begin to roll jelly roll style starting with the longest edge ending seam side down.
- Slice into 9 even pieces using dental floss OR a sharp knife. Place cut sides down in prepared pan, reshaping as needed. Cover and let rise 40 minutes or until almost doubled.
- To Bake: Preheat oven to 375°F. Brush tops with melted butter and sprinkle with reserved Parmesan cheese. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until tops are golden. Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes then gently remove from pan. Cool about 20 minutes more before pulling apart and serving.