These bakery style Cranberry Orange Sweet Rolls will make a mouthwatering addition to your special occasion sweet treats menu.
Easy Cranberry Orange Sweet Rolls Recipe
These sweet rolls are one of those handheld goodies that make the perfect companion to a cup of hot tea or coffee. While this flavor combination is often associated with the holidays, canned cranberry sauce is available year-round in most grocery stores. Due to this, these sweet rolls could adorn your sweets menu on a whim any time of year.
How to Make the Best Cranberry Orange Sweet Rolls Recipe
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Cranberry Orange Sweet Rolls: All purpose flour, rapid rise yeast, butter, granulated sugar, salt, whole milk (warm), orange juice, large egg, whole berry cranberry sauce, dried cranberries, plus powdered sugar, heavy cream, additional orange juice and orange zest for the glaze.
- Kitchen gadgets you'll need: A stand mixer or a hand mixer fitted with a dough hook, medium bowl, large bowl, whisk, measuring cups and spoons, small saucepan, thermometer, citrus juicer and zester, sharp knife, 13 x 9 inch baking pan.
- The dough for these sweet rolls is made very much like classic cinnamon roll dough. While classic cinnamon rolls require you to "bloom" the yeast, the yeast is mixed into the dry ingredients for this recipe.
- If you don't have a mixer that uses a dough hook, you can certainly knead this dough by hand on a lightly floured non-stick surface, instead. The amount of time would be similar kneading by hand until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- It's important to use a thermometer when heating the liquid. This allows you to monitor the temperature so it doesn't become too hot or it could possibly kill the yeast.
- Whole berry cranberry sauce is usually located in the canned fruit section of most grocery stores. It can usually be found year-round along with canned pumpkin.
- To add another layer of texture, you can sprinkle the cranberry sauce filling with ½ cup dried cranberries or craisins. This is optional, but it does add a nice chewy texture similar to raisins.
- Do you like lots of gooey glaze? No problem! The glaze can be easily doubled to suit your taste.
- Store glazed Cranberry Orange Sweet Rolls chilled in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
More Cranberry Recipes to Make
Whether you're preference is fresh or dried cranberries, there are so many ways to enjoy them. A few other recipes you may like to add to the menu.
- Cranberry Orange Yogurt Bread is a cake-like quick bread that's easy to make.
- Sweet and fluffy Cranberry Fluff is a dreamy side dish or dessert to add to your holiday menu.
- Cranberry Apple Rice Pilaf is a tasty side dish to go with turkey, pork or chicken.
- Poppy Seed Cheddar Turkey Sliders are a fun way to use leftovers or serve with deli turkey as a snack or appetizer.
- Christmas Cranberry Cake for holiday brunch or dessert.
- See how to make Sugared Cranberries from My Recipes.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Cranberry Orange Sweet Rolls
- 4 ½-5 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 (¼ oz each) packages rapid rise yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1 14 oz can whole berry cranberry sauce
- ½ cup dried cranberries (i.e. Craisins) optional
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoon cream
- 2 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange zest plus additional for garnishing
- To make the dough: In the bowl of a stand mixer, sift together 2 ½ cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt.
- In a small saucepan, simmer over medium low heat butter, milk and orange juice until it reaches a temperature of 120°-125F.
- Add warm milk mixture and egg to dry ingredients in mixing bowl. Mix using the dough hook on low speed adding additional flour 1 cup at a time until it forms a soft dough. Increase the speed of the mixer and knead for 5 minutes. (Alternatively, this can be done by hand on a floured surface.)
- Add dough to a lightly buttered bowl. turn to coat. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise 60-90 minutes or until doubled.
- Punch down dough. On a lightly floured non stick surface, roll into roughly an 18 x 14 inch rectangle.
- Spread cranberry sauce from end to end leaving a ½ inch border around the edge. Sprinkle with dried cranberries. Begin to roll starting with the longest side, jelly roll style shaping as you go, ending seam side down.
- Use a sharp knife to cut into 12 equal portions. (about 1 ½ inches thick) Place rolls in a 13 x 9 inch baking pan lightly buttered or sprayed with cooking spray. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes or until doubled.
- To bake: Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake rolls for 35-45 minutes or until puffed and lightly golden. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- To make the glaze: In a small bowl, mix together powdered sugar, cream, orange juice and zest. Drizzle over rolls.
- Serve warm garnished with additional orange zest, if desired.