These divine Apple Pie Cinnamon Rolls are the epitome of fusion heaven.I’m a bit passionate about finding new ways to enjoy all-time favorite flavor combinations. This fall I wanted to come up with a quick and easy seasonal sweet roll using ingredients you can easily find or may even have on hand. These delicious apple pie cinnamon rolls were the result. Needless to say, these could be served at breakfast, for a special brunch, or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream as a dessert. They’re gooey and sweet and easily earned their name. It’s like apple pie and cinnamon rolls collided and that could only result in deliciousness!
One of my most popular recipes are my Skillet Apple Pie Biscuits where biscuits are turned into an anytime of day treat smothered with apple pie filling and then glazed. So why not make cinnamon rolls using pizza dough? Refrigerated pizza dough can be very elastic so be patient when rolling it out into a rectangle. As you roll the apple filled dough some of the apple pie filling may ooze out. You can tuck the bits and pieces into the spaces between the cinnamon rolls after you arrange them in the skillet. Much too tasty to be left behind. If you prefer making your own apples, see the cook’s note for the “how to.” If you like lots of glaze, double the recipe it’s as simple as that. These apple pie cinnamon rolls are perfect for holiday brunches, special breakfasts, tea time with your girlfriends or at any other event where sweet breads are being served. Guaranteed they’ll be the first to go.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Apple Pie Cinnamon Rolls
- 1 13.8 oz can refrigerated classic pizza crust (i.e. Pillsbury)
- 5 Tbsp softened butter divided
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 20 oz can premium apple pie filling (*See Cook's note)
- 1/2 tsp apple pie spice
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3-4 Tbsp heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Use 1 Tbsp butter to coat the bottom and sides of a 12-inch cast iron skillet or similar. Set aside
- On a non stick surface stretch the pizza dough into a 15 x 10-inch rectangle. Spread the dough with 4 Tbsp softened butter.
- Mix together the brown sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle over the butter.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the apple wedges in the pie filling into smaller pieces. Stir in the apple pie spice. Spread over the crust.
- Begin rolling from the widest edge ending seam side down. Use a sharp knife and cut into 12 equal pieces. Arrange in the buttered skillet.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden and puffy.
- Mix together the powdered sugar and heavy cream. Add enough cream to make the glaze drizzling consistency.
- Drizzle the glaze over the rolls and serve.
To make your own apple filling: In a heavy bottomed saucepan cook 4 cups of cubed apple, 1/3 cup of granulated sugar, 1/2 tsp apple pie spice and 1/4 tsp of salt. Simmer for 15-20 minutes until softened. Thicken with 1 Tbsp cornstarch dissolved in 1 Tbsp cold water, repeat as needed. Cool then proceed with the recipe as written.