This Chocolate Buttermilk Cake is my “go to” chocolate cake recipe. You can frost it with whatever flavor of frosting your heart desires. It can be made into layers, as a sheet cake, divide into cupcakes or bake in mini cupcake pans. My fridge is never without buttermilk and in this recipe it gives the cake batter a bright flavor which balances the sweetness and compliments the chocolate.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Chocolate Buttermilk Cake
- Ingredients you'll need:
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp pure almond extract
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup whole buttermilk
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter and flour 2  inch round cake pans. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter, sugar, brown sugar and flavorings. Cream for 2-3 minutes until combined. Add the eggs 1 at a time beating well after each.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add to the creamed mixer alternately with the buttermilk starting and ending with flour.
After all of the dry ingredients have been added, stop and scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl. Beat the batter for 30 seconds on medium-high until creamy. Divide between the pans.
Place into the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes back clean. Cool in the pan for 30 minutes until the sides release from the pan.
Carefully remove from the pans and cool completely on a cooling rack. Frost as desired.
- Makes: 2  inch rounds, 3  inch rounds, 24-30 regular cupcakes, 48 mini cupcakes, 1 [9 x 13] sheet cake, 1 bundt cake