This Chocolate Buttermilk Cake is sure to become your go to chocolate cake recipe. It can be made into layers, as a sheet cake, divide into cupcakes or bake in mini cupcake pans. You can frost it with whatever flavor of frosting your heart desires.
Best Chocolate Buttermilk Cake Recipe
How to Make Southern Style Chocolate Buttermilk Cake Recipe
- This chocolate buttermilk cake is made using all purpose flour. In this instance, you could adapt with cake flour but it's not necessary. The buttermilk lends such a tender crumb to the cake, all purpose flour works perfectly.
- You'll need classic unsweetened cocoa powder to make this chocolate cake. You could use Dutch process or Hershey's special dark cocoa for a more intense chocolate flavor.
- Whole buttermilk is best for the cake batter. If you're unable to find it, low fat will work but this is one instance fat free isn't the best choice.
- How do you make your own buttermilk? To make your own buttermilk, to one cup of whole milk add one tablespoon of fresh lemon juice or white distilled vinegar. Let it stand on the counter for 5 minutes then stir and proceed with the recipe.
- When making a chocolate layer cake, you can make, bake and cool the layers then wrap in plastic wrap. Store them in the refrigerator for up to 2 day or in the freezer for up to one month for a future dessert.
Other Classic Layer Cake Recipes to Add to the Menu
Other cake homemade cake flavors you may enjoy are my recipes for White Buttermilk Cake, Double Chocolate Cake and Old Fashioned Butter Cake. Along with this chocolate cake recipe, they remain very popular on the website and each can be found in the recipe index for future reference. Hardly a day goes by that one of these homemade cake recipes isn't downloaded for use by my visitors. I totally understand, they're scrumptious and incredibly versatile and just happen to be my top four favorites, too. See how to make your own cake flour here by Baked by an Introvert.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Chocolate Buttermilk Cake
- 1 cup salted butter softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon pure almond extract
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups whole buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter and flour 2  inch round cake pans. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter, sugar, brown sugar and flavorings. Cream for 2-3 minutes until combined. Add the eggs 1 at a time beating well after each.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add to the creamed mixer alternately with the buttermilk starting and ending with flour.
- After all of the dry ingredients have been added, stop and scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl. Beat the batter for 30 seconds on medium-high until creamy. Divide between the pans.
- Place into the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes back clean. Cool in the pan for 30 minutes until the sides release from the pan.
- Carefully remove from the pans and cool completely on a cooling rack. Frost as desired.
- Makes: 2  inch rounds, 3  inch rounds, 24-30 regular cupcakes, 48 mini cupcakes, 1 [9 x 13] sheet cake, 1 bundt cake