This Chocolate Buttermilk Cake is my “go to” chocolate cake recipe. You can frost it with whatever flavor of frosting your heart desires. It can be made into layers, as a sheet cake, divide into cupcakes or bake in mini cupcake pans. My fridge is never without buttermilk and in this recipe it gives the cake batter a bright flavor which balances the sweetness and compliments the chocolate.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Chocolate Buttermilk Cake
- Ingredients you'll need:
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp pure almond extract
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup whole buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter and flour 2  inch round cake pans. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter, sugar, brown sugar and flavorings. Cream for 2-3 minutes until combined. Add the eggs 1 at a time beating well after each.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add to the creamed mixer alternately with the buttermilk starting and ending with flour.
- After all of the dry ingredients have been added, stop and scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl. Beat the batter for 30 seconds on medium-high until creamy. Divide between the pans.
- Place into the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes back clean. Cool in the pan for 30 minutes until the sides release from the pan.
- Carefully remove from the pans and cool completely on a cooling rack. Frost as desired.
- Makes: 2  inch rounds, 3  inch rounds, 24-30 regular cupcakes, 48 mini cupcakes, 1 [9 x 13] sheet cake, 1 bundt cake