This Red White and Blue Ice Cream Cake is ideal for any Patriotic celebration with the bonus of being prepared in advance. It's certain to bring the "oohs" and "aahs" to your all American dessert table.
Easy Red White and Blue Ice Cream Cake Recipe
When Patriotic holidays roll around, I can't help myself but to make red white and blue desserts and sweets to share. Once super easy no-cook option to make is my Patriotic Pretzel Bark which requires no baking at all. This does require baking cake layers, but it's so fun and turns into a star spangled extravaganza.
How to Make the Best Red White and Blue Ice Cream Cake Recipe
This cake requires several steps, but none are difficult. You can make this cake well in advance, and have it ready for your special day.
- Ingredients you'll need to make a homemade Red White and Blue Ice Cream Cake: Vanilla ice cream, one box of white cake mix, buttermilk, oil, large egg whites, gel food coloring, strawberry extract, almond extract, heavy cream, powdered sugar and red white and blue sprinkles.
- When coloring the batter for this cake, it's best to use gel colorings. The benefit is, they don't add liquid to the batter, so you have the freedom to make the color as intense as you like without changing the texture of the cake.
- You can add any flavor of extract to the cake batter that you enjoy. Strawberry works especially well. Should you choose to use vanilla, use clear vanilla.
- This cake can be made up to 2 weeks in advance, but it's important to keep it airtight to keep it fresh.
- You could assemble the entire cake without the frosting, cover and freeze. The day you plan on serving it, whip the cream and frost, then tuck back into the freezer until serving.
- You can make this cake using 8 inch or 9 inch cake pans. The important thing to remember is, they all three need to be the same size so, the layers will match.
- You can freeze this ice cream cake for up to 2 months.
More Southern Style Frozen Dessert Recipes to Make
During warm Summer months, it's the perfect time to indulge in frozen sweets to cool down on hot days. Other frozen treats from the MSSK recipe index:
- Chocolate drizzled Frozen Raspberry Pie is filled with plump fresh raspberries.
- Frozen Banana Pudding Bombe has a chocolate layer hidden inside.
- Turtle Ice Cream Pie is a decadent frozen confection,
- This collection of 25 Fabulous Frozen Confections has something for everyone to enjoy.
- Gooey Butter Cake Cold Brew Milkshake from TidyMom
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Red White and Blue Ice Cream Cake
- ½ gallon vanilla ice cream
- 1 15.5 oz box white cake mix
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoon strawberry extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 4 large egg whites
- red and blue coloring gel
- 1 pint heavy cream
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon strawberry or vanilla extract
- red white and blue sprinkles or fresh fruit for decorating
- To make ice cream layer: Set ice cream on counter for 5-10 minutes to soften. Line an 8 or 9 inch round cake pan with plastic wrap leaving 6 inches overhang. (Use the same size cake pan as the cake layers)
- Scoop ice cream into pan and spread evenly in pan. Bring plastic wrap over to cover and freeze for 4 hours or until solid.
- To make cake layers: (Follow the recipe not the instructions on the box) Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray two 8 or 9 inch layer cake pans with baking spray. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat together cake mix, buttermilk, oil, strawberry extract, almond extract and egg whites. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes or just until fully combined.
- Divide batter evenly into 2 bowls. To one bowl add red coloring and to the other add blue. Stir thoroughly, repeating until desired color intensity is reached. Pour into pans.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes back clean. Cool completely in the pans on a cooling rack.
- To assemble: Center blue layer on bottom of cake stand. Remove ice cream layer from freezer, uncover and turn upside down on blue layer. Top with red cake layer.
- Using a knife or offset frosting spatula, run along the side of the layers to smooth ice cream and shape to match width of cake layers. Lightly cover with plastic wrap and freeze for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- To frost: In a medium size bow, use an electric mixer, whip together heavy cream with powdered sugar, strawberry or vanilla extract. Whip on medium-high until stiff peaks form. Don't overbeat.
- Frost top and sides of cake then decorate with sprinkles as desired.
- Freeze for 2 hours. Allow to sit at room temperature for 5-10 minutes before slicing using a sharp knife dipped in warm water. Clean blade between slices.
- Store leftovers frozen. Will keep frozen up to 2 weeks.