This mile high Banana Pudding Layer Cake is an absolute dream to make and serve. Three tall layers of vanilla cake are sandwiched together with an easy banana pudding filling then frosted with plenty of whipped cream. Garnish with vanilla wafers then chill until serving to allow the cake to set. It’s simply glorious.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Banana Pudding Layer Cake
- 1 recipe Old Fashioned Butter Cake OR
- 1 [16.25] oz box yellow or golden butter cake mix plus ingredients to prepare
- For the filling: [If making a 2 layer cake halve]
- 1 [2.6 oz] box dry whipped topping mix [i.e.Dream Whip]
- 3 cup cold half & half divided
- 2 [3.4 oz] box vanilla instant pudding mix
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup whipped cream cheese
- 2 large bananas diced
- Frosting: 1  oz frozen whipped topping thawed
- Garnish: whole Vanilla wafers plus 1/2 cup crushed vanilla wafers
- Prepare the cake layers per the directions and cool completely.
- To prepare the filling, using a mixer whip together both envelopes of whipped topping with 1 1/4 cup of cold half & half. Whip for 3 minutes or until firm peaks form. [Tip: 1 box of Dream Whip contains 2 envelopes, use both for a 3 layer cake and 1 for a 2 layer cake]
- Add both packages of instant pudding, 1 3/4 cups of cold half & half and 2 tsp pure vanilla extract.
- Whip for another 2-3 minutes until thickened. Add the whipped cream cheese and whip for another 1-2 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Spread half of the filling over the bottom layer of cake. Top with cubed bananas. Gently press the bananas into the filling.
- Top with the middle layer of cake and repeat. Top with the last cake layer.
- Frost with whipped topping and garnish with vanilla wafers. Chill for at least 4 hours before cutting.