These fun Chocolate Rice Krispies Treats for Halloween can be made into any shape that suits your fancy. They're a fun family project that everyone can help make and decorate.
Easy Chocolate Rice Krispies Treats for Halloween
When it comes to nostalgic sweet treats that every generation loves, rice krispies treats has to be close to the top pf the list. Since they've come out with cocoa krispies, the variations have become endless with mix-ins and shapes to make. These Halloween shapes are something kids of all ages will love and gravitate to regardless of the holiday or theme of the occasion.
How to Make Chocolate Rice Krispies Treats for Halloween Recipe
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Chocolate Rice Krispies Treats: Marshmallows, cocoa krispies, butter, vanilla extract and semi sweet chocolate chips. You'll also need candy eyes, sprinkles and colored tube icing in various colors depending on how you're going to decorate the treats.
- Edible eyes and sprinkles can easily be found in the baking section of most big box stores such as Target and Walmart, at craft stores, party stores ( i.e. Party City) and baking suppliers.
- Kitchen gadgets you'll need: A large heavy bottomed saucepan or pot, rubber spatulas, a 9 x 9 inch or 13 x 9 inch baking pan lined with parchment paper and cookie cutters in various shapes. Spiders, ghosts, pumpkins or any Halloween shape you'd like to make.
- Choose the pan size depending on how thick you want the rice krispies treats to be. Also, consider how many you'd like to yield and the size of the cookies cutters you're planning to use.
- You can use mini chocolate chips or omit the chocolate chips with no other adjustments needed.
- No cookie cutters? You can also cut these chocolate rice krispies treats into squares and use a pastry bag or a tube of cookie icing to draw the shapes on top.
- Sprinkles can be used for decorating the top and you could also mix some into the mixture before pressing it into the pan. Choose the colors you like and use complimentary colored icing in tubes to create the webs and outlines. Have fun and be creative!
- Rice krispies treats are best made and eaten the same day. You can store them for up to 2 days at room temperature in an airtight container or freeze for up to 6 weeks.
More Halloween Sweet Treats to Make
These sorts of edible desserts are the kind the whole family can help with. More easy seasonal desserts you may also like to make:
- Chocolate Dipped Scotcheroo Bon Bons are a fun and festive any time two bite dessert.
- Fun and festive Halloween Popcorn Balls are for kids of all ages.
- Chocolate Spider Cookies are impossible to resist topped with a chocolate truffle and pretzels for legs.
- Peanut Butter Popcorn Bites are buttery, sweet and slightly chewy.
- Halloween Scotcheroos never last long.
- 25 Not-So-Scary Halloween Treats has something for everyone.
- Halloween Cheesecake Parfaits from the Food Charlatan.
THANKS FOR VISITING COME BACK SOON!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Chocolate Rice Krispies Treats for Halloween
- 4 tablespoon butter not margarine or reduced fat butter
- 1 10 oz package large marshmallows (OR 5 ½ cups mini marshmallows)
- ½ cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 6 cups cocoa rice krispies
- 1-2 cups prepared white or cream cheese cake frosting
- black or orange gel food coloring
- Halloween colored sprinkles, candy eyes and nonpareils
- Line a 9 x 9 or 13 x 9 inch pan with parchment paper leaving 1-2 inches overhang. Spray paper with cooking spray or butter. Set aside.
- In large heavy bottomed saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and chocolate chips. Stir until the marshmallows have completely melted and smooth. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla extract, mixing well. (Chocolate chips don't have to be completely melted.)
- Add cocoa krispies to a large bowl. Pour melted marshmallows over and use a rubber (or other non stick spoon) to stir until evenly coated. (If the pot used is big enough it can double for the mixing bowl and you can skip this step.)
- Pour mixture into prepared pan. Using a rubber spatula or a piece of wax paper to press the mixture to even thickness. (Note: Choose the pan based on how thick you want the rice krispies treats to be.) Set aside to cool completely.
- Once cooled, use parchment paper handles to remove from the pan. Cut into spiders, ghosts, pumpkins or use any fun cookie cutters to create different shapes. Outline with frosting using a pastry bag and small round tip and decorate with sprinkles or googly eyes, if desired.
- Rice Krispies Treats are best served the same day. Store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 6 weeks.