This amazing fresh Chopped Chickpea Salad with Avocado deviates a little from the beaten path with the addition of avocado. On top of that, it’s also filled with farm stand goodies like fresh cucumbers, sweet red onion and cherry tomatoes all tossed in a homemade vinaigrette. The feta cheese adds a nice mildly salty bite and rounds out the salad making it perfect to be served as a side dish or a light meal all in itself. This chopped chickpea salad is sure to become a summertime favorite with your family and friends.
I recommend mixing all of the vegetables together and tossing them with the vinaigrette. This allows the flavors to marry while the chopped vegetables marinate in the vinaigrette and chill. Just before serving, add the avocado, feta and fresh parsley tossing with the remaining ingredients. Doing it this way, will ensure that the avocado will maintain it’s bright color. It’s a fantastic way to switch up the salads at a backyard BBQ, family picnic or served as a light meal all on it’s own. It’s one of my favorite summertime salads and oh-so-easy to toss together and after chilling thoroughly, the flavors truly come alive.
Chopped Chickpea Salad with Avocado
- 1 English cucumber cubed
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 small red onion thinly sliced
- 1 14 oz can chickpeas, rinsed
- 4 oz feta cheese crumbled
- 2 small avocados cubed
- 2 Tbsp chopped Italian parsley
- White Balsamic Vinaigrette:
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp dry Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- Place the cucumber, cherry tomatoes, red onion and chickpeas in a mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk together the ingredients for the vinaigrette. Toss with the vegetables. Cover tightly and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Just before serving toss the feta cheese, cubed avocado and Italian parsley with the marinated vegetables. Taste and adjust the seasonings, if needed.
- Serve immediately.