Classic Wedge Salad with homemade blue cheese dressing is not only delicious but, has an appealing presentation to boot. It's easy to assemble and serves as a vibrant and tasty accompaniment to countless entrees.
Classic Wedge Salad
This wedge salad is the type of side dish you may have enjoyed at some point in a steakhouse. It's a delicious alternative to making a full salad and the toppings aren't complicated. You can also scale the amount of wedge salads to the size of the gathering with ease. Iceberg lettuce seems to have become lost in an abundance of gourmet and fancy greens that are now available in markets. While I adore all of those greens, and include them regularly in our diet, wedge salads must be made with the iconic iceberg lettuce we all know from childhood. Mainly, because it's consistent in texture and it has the unique ability to hold together when topped with a generous drizzle of blue cheese dressing.
Tips for Making Wedge Salad
- Choose large firm, heads of lettuce.
- Leave the core intact so, the wedge will hold together. Gently wash and pat dry with a paper towel.
- I typically season lightly with salt and pepper when assembling. Alternatively, you could skip the seasoning and allow each person to season their own wedge salad.
- Blue cheese varies in levels of flavor. For a milder blue cheese choose Danish Blue or Gorgonzola or a medium flavored Maytag Blue for the dressing. Roquefort and Stilton will result in a stronger flavor. Choose your favorite but, as always, start with a quality blue cheese. You may enjoy this article on Delishably discussing how to select the best blue cheese.
- Make the blue cheese dressing one day in advance to give the flavors time to marry.
- To expedite assembly, slice tomatoes and onion and cook bacon in advance. Then assemble just before serving.
Dishes to Serve with Wedge Salad
While wedge salads go with a variety of entrees, I wanted to give you just a few ideas for menu planning.
- Teriyaki Steak Bites
- Beef Wellington
- Bacon Wrapped Pork Loin
- Mini Barbecue Cheddar Meatloaves
- Bacon Wrapped Top Sirloin Medallions
- Oven Barbecue Chicken Breasts
- Chicken and Broccoli Stuffed Shells with Alfredo Sauce
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Classic Wedge Salad
- 1 cup real mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup buttermilk or milk
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp white pepper
- ½ tsp granulated garlic
- 2-3 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh chives may use more or less to taste
- 1 6 oz block bleu cheese, crumbled and divided May use Gorgonzola, Danish Blue, Maytag, Stilton, Roquefort or your favorite
- 2 large firm heads iceberg lettuce rinse and pat dry, cut into 8 wedges
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 lb bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1 small red onion thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp fresh chives sliced
- In a medium-size mixing bowl whisk together mayonnaise, sour cream, buttermilk, lemon juice, minced garlic, salt, onion powder, white pepper, granulated garlic and Worcestershire. Whisk until fully combined then add ½ crumbled blue cheese and chives. Mix well. Store chilled in an airtight container overnight.
- To assemble: Arrange wedges on a platter. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Drizzle with ½ dressing, Top with sliced tomatoes and onion. Sprinkle with bacon, remaining crumbled blue cheese and chives.
- Serve immediately with additional dressing on the side.