These sweet and spicy Cinnamon Streusel Oatmeal Muffins are the perfect accompaniment to a cup of coffee or tea. Made with pantry ingredients, they're the the best of bakery-style treats you can make at home.
Cinnamon Streusel Oatmeal Muffins
Do you have oatmeal fans at your house? My sons enjoyed it more when they were little but, will eat any kind of sweet treat that includes oatmeal. We all enjoy a freshly baked batch of oatmeal cookies and copycat oatmeal cream pies. Then, there's a retro oatmeal cake with a broiled coconut pecan frosting that's been a jewel on potluck tables in the South for eons. Oatmeal as an ingredient, holds a solid place among Southern desserts.
Tips for Making Cinnamon Streusel Oatmeal Muffins
These muffins aren't difficult to make at all. In fact, there's no need to use a mixer for making the batter.
- I use buttermilk for these muffins as I almost always have it on hand and, it's my personal preference. They can be made with whole milk or half and half in the same amount.
- To make homemade buttermilk, place 1 Tbsp lemon juice or white distilled vinegar in a measuring cup. Fill it the rest of the way with the amount of milk called for in the recipe. Allow to sit on the counter for 5 minutes, then proceed with the recipe.
- You can use old fashioned or quick cooking oats in this recipe. I don't recommend using instant oatmeal.
- I've used pumpkin pie spice in place of cinnamon in this recipe at times for a fuller, more rounded spice blend. Either will work.
Other Muffin Recipes to Try
I've heard it said that muffins are cupcakes that believed in miracles. Since we all need a little miraculous in our lives, you may also enjoy this recipe for banana bread muffins, double chocolate buttermilk muffins or mini pecan pie muffins. You may also enjoy these department store blueberry muffins from King Author Flour.
Thank for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Cinnamon Streusel Oatmeal Muffins
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup old fashioned or quick cooking oats (Not instant oats)
- ¾ cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk or whole milk
- ½ cup butter melted
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup quick cooking oats
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
- 2 Tbsp cold butter cubed
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a 12 cup standard size muffin tin with baking spray. Set aside. Alternately, you may use cupcake liners.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, use a whisk to sift together flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk, butter, eggs and vanilla. Mix wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until fully moistened. Mix well.
- Divide batter evenly between muffin cups.
- To make the streusel: Mix together oats, flour, sugar and cinnamon. Use a pastry blender or 2 knives to cut in cold butter until it resembles crumbs. Sprinkle evenly on top of muffins.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes back clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then remove to a cooling rack or platter. Serve warm.