Pecan Pie Mini Muffins – It’s no secret how much we love pecan pie in the South. It’s one of those classics that we pride ourselves on and one we do very well. It’s nice to find different ways to enjoy the same flavors found in pecan pie and in my quest to do so I can upon this recipe from my friends at Southern Living Magazine. First of all, they’re adorable bite size muffins and I love that for brunch and tea parties. I can see these muffins served anytime of year but they would fit nicely on a holiday menu as well.
When reading the recipe be aware that it’s no typo there is only 1/2 cup of flour in these muffins. The brown sugar caramelizes and makes them taste just like pecan pie. The only thing I prefer to do differently is to bake these in mini muffin liners lightly spritzed with cooking spray. The amount of brown sugar in the mini muffins makes them a bit difficult to remove from the pan. They are super simple to make and seriously a bite of dessert heaven. Be prepared they’ll be the first to go, you might want to double the recipe.
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 24 mini muffin liners
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line 24 mini muffin cups with liners and lightly spritz with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium size mixing bowl use a whisk to sift together the brown sugar, flour, baking powder and salt.
- Make a well in the center and add the melted butter, eggs and vanilla. Use a fork to blend together just until fully moistened.
- Sprinkle ½ of the chopped pecans into the bottom of each mini muffin liner. Divide the batter evenly between each mini muffin cup.
- Sprinkle the tops with the remaining ½ cup chopped pecans.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes back clean.
- Remove from the pan and cool on a cooling rack. Store at room temperature.