Coconut Cream Pie – Coconut cream pie is my Daddy’s all-time favorite pie. This apple didn’t fall too far from that tree. My whole family loves coconut when included as an ingredient in cake, some sort of gooey dessert or in a dreamy cream like this from-scratch coconut cream pie. It’s equally a star in savory dishes too, such as coconut shrimp or toasted coconut chicken tenders.
This creamy meringue topped coconut cream pie is so very delicious, I could almost eat the whole thing myself. It’s another one of those pies that I say just put it in the middle of the table and pass out forks. The custard is made from scratch and gives it the love that money can’t buy. It’s lip smackin’ coconut goodness that never gets old.
Coconut Cream Pie
- 1  inch deep dish pie shell baked and cooled
- 1 [13.5] oz can coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 large egg yolks plus 2 whole eggs [Reserve egg whites]
- 1 cup granulated sugar plus 2 Tbsp divided
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp pure coconut extract
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut plus 2 Tbsp
- 1/4 tsp cream of tarter
- Bake and cool the deep dish pie shell.
- On the stovetop in a heavy bottomed saucepan heat the coconut milk and heavy cream over medium-high heat.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together 3 egg yolks, 2 whole eggs, 1 cup sugar, cornstarch and salt. Whisk until the cornstarch has dissolved. [Tip: Reserve 3 egg whites for the meringue]
- Whisk the egg mixture into the warm cream in the saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil over medium-high whisking constantly until thickened to consistency of a thick pudding. This may take 3-5 minutes. Do not walk away, the custard can stick to the bottom and burn easily.
- Once thickened, remove from the heat and add the vanilla extract, coconut extract, and 1 cup flaked coconut. Fold into the custard by hand.
- Pour into the pie shell and spread evenly. Reserve 2 Tbsp of flaked coconut to sprinkle on top of the meringue.
- To make the meringue: Use a hand mixer and whip the 3 reserved egg whites with 1/4 tsp cream of tarter and 2 Tbsp of sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Spread over the filling. Sprinkle with reserved 2 Tbsp flaked coconut.
- To brown the meringue: Move the oven rack to the upper 1/3 of the oven. Set the oven on the broil setting.
- Place the pie onto a cookie sheet and into the oven.
- Turn the pie as needed until evenly browned, do not walk away.
- Chill for at least 4 hours until the custard is set before attempting to cut.
Coconut milk is usually located on the baking aisle or on the International aisle of the grocery store. Choose a quality coconut milk for the best results.