There's no occasion that wouldn't be suited for fluffy meringue topped Coconut Cream Pie. This pie features a creamy homemade coconut custard that's filled with hints of vanilla and it's frosted with a whipped meringue. The meringue is sprinkled with sweetened flaked coconut that's toasted until golden. After a thorough chilling it's ready to enjoy.
Easy Coconut Cream Pie Recipe
Coconut cream pie is an all-time favorite pie for my family. How do you make Coconut Cream Pie? This recipe begins with a baked pie crust. The custard filling is made on the stovetop and it consists of coconut milk, heavy cream, eggs, granulated sugar, cornstarch along with vanilla and coconut extracts for flavor. Cook the custard gently on the stovetop until thickened then add sweetened flaked coconut and pour it into the baked pie shell. Whip the reserved egg whites until fluffy and light then frost the top. You can broil the meringue under the broiler or using a pastry torch.
How to Make the BEST Coconut Cream Pie
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Coconut Cream Pie: One 9 inch deep dish frozen You could also use a refrigerated or homemade pie crust. You'll also need sweetened flaked coconut, coconut milk, heavy cream, granulated sugar, large eggs (separated), vanilla extract, coconut extract, salt, cornstarch and cream of tarter.
- Kitchen tools you'll need: Medium bowl, measuring cups and spoons, whisk, heavy bottomed medium-size saucepan and spoon. You'll also need a stand mixer or a hand mixer to whip the meringue.
- The coconut custard for this pie is made from scratch. Allow ample chill time for it to set before slicing.
- The filling for this recipes uses coconut milk not cream of coconut.
- The purpose of using cream of tarter is that it helps to stabilize the meringue.
- If you prefer, you can frost the top with whipped cream instead.
- If you have a pastry torch, you can toast the meringue with that instead of browning under the broiler in the oven.
- When browning the meringue under the broiler it can brown quickly so don't walk away. Keep a close eye on it so it doesn't burn.
- Store Coconut Cream Pie chilled in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
More Coconut Desserts to Make
- This luscious Coconut Cream Cake is always a holiday favorite.
- White Chocolate Macadamia Coconut Cookies will disappear in no time.
- No bake Chocolate Coconut Toffee Bars are a refrigerator cookie bar that's chewy and delicious.
- This big and beautiful Coconut Layer Cake is a stunner.
- Coconut Cream Lush is a layered dessert that begins with a pecan shortbread crust.
- Chocolate drizzled Coconut Macaroons.
- Fruit filled Blueberry Coconut Muffins from Two Peas and their Pod.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Coconut Cream Pie
- 1 9 inch frozen deep dish pie shell baked and cooled
- 1 13.5 oz can coconut milk
- 1 ½ cup heavy cream
- 3 large egg yolks plus 2 whole eggs [Reserve egg whites]
- 1 cup granulated sugar plus 2 Tbsp divided
- ½ cup cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon pure coconut extract
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut plus 2 Tbsp
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tarter
- Crust: Bake deep dish pie shell according to the package instructions. Cool completely.
- Filling: On the stovetop in a medium heavy bottomed saucepan heat the coconut milk and heavy cream over medium-high heat.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together 3 egg yolks, 2 whole eggs, 1 cup sugar, cornstarch and salt. Whisk until the cornstarch has dissolved. [Tip: Reserve 3 egg whites for the meringue]
- Whisk the egg mixture into the warm cream in the saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil over medium-high whisking constantly until thickened to consistency of a thick pudding. This may take 3-5 minutes. Do not walk away, the custard can stick to the bottom and burn easily.
- Once thickened, remove from the heat and add the vanilla extract, coconut extract, and 1 cup flaked coconut. Fold into the custard by hand using a nonstick silicone spatula.
- Pour the filling into the pie shell and spread evenly. Reserve 2 tablespoon of flaked coconut to sprinkle on top of the meringue.
- To make the Meringue: Use a hand mixer and whip the 3 reserved egg whites with ¼ teaspoon cream of tarter and 2 tablespoon of sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Spread over the filling. Sprinkle with reserved 2 tablespoon flaked coconut.
- To brown the meringue: Move the oven rack to the upper ⅓ of the oven. Set the oven on the broil setting.
- Place the pie onto a cookie sheet and into the oven.
- Turn the pie as needed until evenly browned, do not walk away.
- Chill for at least 4 hours until the custard is set before attempting to cut.