There's no occasion on earth that wouldn't be suited for fluffy meringue topped Coconut Cream Pie. The creamy homemade custard is filled with coconut and hints of vanilla frosted with billows of whipped meringue on top.The meringue is sprinkled with coconut then toasted in the oven just until golden. Chill thoroughly to allow it to set then pass out forks.
My Dad's Favorite Coconut Cream Pie
Coconut cream pie is my Dad's all-time favorite pie. Admittedly, this apple didn't fall too far from that tree. My whole family loves coconut when included as an ingredient in cake, or some sort of gooey dessert or in a dreamy cream like this from-scratch coconut cream pie. We equally consider it a star ingredient in savory dishes too, such as coconut shrimp or toasted coconut chicken tenders. This creamy meringue topped coconut cream pie is so very delicious, I could almost eat the whole thing myself. It's another one of those pies that I say just put it in the middle of the table and pass out forks. The custard is made from scratch and gives it the love that money can't buy. It's lip smackin' coconut goodness that never gets old.
Other Desserts For Coconut Fans
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Coconut Cream Pie
- 1 9 inch frozen deep dish pie shell baked and cooled
- 1 13.5 oz can coconut milk
- 1 ½ cup heavy cream
- 3 large egg yolks plus 2 whole eggs [Reserve egg whites]
- 1 cup granulated sugar plus 2 Tbsp divided
- ½ cup cornstarch
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp pure coconut extract
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut plus 2 Tbsp
- ¼ tsp cream of tarter
- Bake deep dish pie shell according to the package instructions. Cool completely.
- On the stovetop in a heavy bottomed saucepan heat the coconut milk and heavy cream over medium-high heat.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together 3 egg yolks, 2 whole eggs, 1 cup sugar, cornstarch and salt. Whisk until the cornstarch has dissolved. [Tip: Reserve 3 egg whites for the meringue]
- Whisk the egg mixture into the warm cream in the saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil over medium-high whisking constantly until thickened to consistency of a thick pudding. This may take 3-5 minutes. Do not walk away, the custard can stick to the bottom and burn easily.
- Once thickened, remove from the heat and add the vanilla extract, coconut extract, and 1 cup flaked coconut. Fold into the custard by hand.
- Pour into the pie shell and spread evenly. Reserve 2 Tbsp of flaked coconut to sprinkle on top of the meringue.
- To make the meringue: Use a hand mixer and whip the 3 reserved egg whites with ¼ tsp cream of tarter and 2 Tbsp of sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Spread over the filling. Sprinkle with reserved 2 Tbsp flaked coconut.
- To brown the meringue: Move the oven rack to the upper ⅓ of the oven. Set the oven on the broil setting.
- Place the pie onto a cookie sheet and into the oven.
- Turn the pie as needed until evenly browned, do not walk away.
- Chill for at least 4 hours until the custard is set before attempting to cut.