This dreamy Coconut Cream Cake is a coconut lovers dream. A white sheet cake is baked then holes are poked all over the top forming edible bowls to collect the coconut cream to be poured on over the cake while it’s still warm. It’s frosted with whipped cream and a combination of both fresh and sweetened flaked coconut for it’s crowning glory. It’s a cake that’s almost angelic and completely irresistible for the coconut fans in your life.
Coconut Cream Cake Is Even Better When Made In Advance
I’m a fan of all things coconut and it’s sheer decadence. Coconut cakes have a unique ability to become better and better the longer they sit. The same is true with this coconut cream sheet cake it gets better and better the longer it sits making it perfect for make ahead entertaining and holiday events. I can only make this cake when entertaining as it tempts me beyond my control. If you prefer to make this cake completely from scratch use my white buttermilk cake and then follow the recipe from the step of poking holes on the top with a skewer or the handle of a wooden spoon after baking. It may seem unusual but, poke cakes are filled as soon as they come out of the oven while hot so the creamy coconut goodness can saturate the cake. That’s what makes this coconut cream cake so very delicious.
Coconut Cream Cake Tips
After filling, it’s important to allow the cake to cool completely before frosting. I frost this cake with a cream cheese frosting but, if you prefer a shortcut you can use fresh whipped cream or frozen whipped topping that’s been thawed, instead. The very first version of this cake that I tasted was many years ago when my Mom made it to take to a church dinner. One bite and from that day on, I was a lover of all things coconut. The ease of being able to prepare this in advance makes it an all-time favorite in my Southern kitchen.
Find more coconut cream goodies to enjoy:
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Coconut Cream Cake
- 1 15.25 0z box of coconut cake or white cake mix plus ingredients to prepare
- 1 7 oz package sweetened flaked coconut, divided
- 1 15 oz can cream of coconut
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 6 oz package frozen fresh coconut, thawed
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 13 x 9 x 2 inch non stick metal pan or spray with baking spray.
- For the cake: Prepare the cake per the directions on the box mixing in ½ of the 7 oz bag of sweetened flaked coconut into the batter by hand.
- Bake per the directions until the top is golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes back clean.
- For the coconut cream filling: After removing the cake from the oven use a fork or bamboo skewer to poke holes over the top of the hot cake.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the cream of coconut with the sweetened condensed milk. Slowly pour over the hot cake, spreading the coconut milk into the holes as you go. Allow the cake to cool completely. Chill overnight.
- For the frosting: beat together the heavy cream, powdered sugar, softened cream cheese and vanilla extract. until light and fluffy. Spread over the top of the cake..
- Toss together the remaining sweetened flaked coconut with the thawed fresh coconut. Sprinkle evenly over the frosting.
- Chill for 1 more day before serving.