These Creamy Buttermilk Ranch Mashed Potatoes are a prime example that food doesn’t have to be fussy to be insanely good. They’re made using Russet potatoes that are cooked in garlic seasoned water until fall apart tender. After cooking, the potatoes are laced with butter, chive and onion cream cheese, dry buttermilk Ranch dressing mix then whipped with tangy buttermilk until smooth. They’re so tasty you’re sure to make them over and over again.
Potatoes need no introduction they are truly one of the most beloved root vegetables on the planet. In any form they always hit the spot for my boys and they’re budget friendly, too. The starchy flesh takes easily to so many different seasonings, types of cheese and herbs making them truly versatile. Not to mention, potatoes in some form go with most any meal you’d ever dream of serving. That’s certainly the case at our house, anyway. Because of our love of spuds, I have a plethora of ways to make potatoes in my recipe arsenal. Dishes like make ahead baked garlic herb mashed potatoes, Swiss cheese mashed potatoes, cheesy mashed potato casserole and cute as a button mashed potato puffins are always a hit. This variation on mashed potatoes has a bit of a twang from the buttermilk that gives them a taste that’s bright and fresh. Easy enough for everyday meals yet special enough to be served for any special occasion.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Creamy Buttermilk Ranch Mashed Potatoes
- 10-12 medium russet potatoes peeled cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 cup butter cubed (1 stick)
- 1 8-oz Chive & Onion cream cheese, softened
- 1 0.4-oz package dry Buttermilk Ranch dressing mix (I.e. Hidden Valley)
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 cup buttermilk OR Half & half plus additional to thin as needed
- 1 Tbsp chopped chives for garnishing
- Place the cubed potatoes in a large stock pot and cover with water. Season with garlic salt. Bring to a boil and cook for 12-15 minutes or until they fall apart when pierce with a fork. Drain well.
- Return drained potatoes to the pot or add to a large mixing bowl. Use a potato masher or electric mixer to whip in the butter, cream cheese, buttermilk, Ranch dressing mix and black pepper to your taste.Use additional buttermilk OR half ad half as needed to thin.
- Serve immediately garnished with a pat of butter and chives.
These potatoes may be made 1 day in advance and baked. Place mashed potatoes into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. Cover with plastic wrap and chill.
Bring to room temperature and dot the top with butter. Bake for 40-45 minutes in a preheated 350°F oven or until heated through.