These Twice Baked Potatoes are perfectly seasoned and filled with cheddar cheese and smoky bacon. They're the kind of side dish that everyone loves and they pair with practically any main dish that you enjoy.
Easy Twice Baked Potatoes Recipe
Twice Baked Potatoes are a favorite side dish to make. For one, they're designed for make ahead preparation which makes them suitable for easy family meals as well as entertaining. They're referred to as "twice baked" due to the fact the potatoes are baked and then split or cut into two halves. After scooping out the flesh, it's combined with seasonings, shredded cheddar cheese and bacon. Each potato shell is filled and then baked again until the cheese is melted and lightly golden. Voila, twice baked potato deliciousness.
How to Make the Best Twice Baked Potatoes Recipe
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Twice Baked Potatoes: 6 large baking potatoes, cooked bacon, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, chive and onion cream cheese, butter, heavy cream, dry Ranch salad dressing mix, granulated garlic, salt and black pepper, green onions.
- Kitchen tools you'll need: A large baking pan, medium bowl, hand mixer or a potato masher, sharp knife and cutting board, measuring cup and spoons, rubber spatula, cheese grater, skillet for cooking bacon and table spoon for scooping out the potatoes.
- When scooping out the potato flesh, use a spoon and leave a ¼ inch of potato around the border to provide stability to the potatoes while baking after being filled.
- You can whip the filling using a hand mixer or if you'd like to leave some chunks in the filling, use a potato masher or a fork.
- You can bake and fully assemble these potatoes up to 1 day in advance. When doing so, cover and chill in the refrigerator then you'll have a delicious side dish ready to bake just before serving.
- You can easily adapt the amount of potatoes according to how many servings you need. Eyeball the seasonings, shredded cheese and bacon accordingly.
- You can use light sour cream, low fat cream cheese, light butter and light shredded cheese for this recipe.
- You can also use turkey bacon in place of classic pork bacon, if desired. You could also omit the bacon if there are non meat eaters at your table.
- You can also lighten up the calories by literally cutting the potatoes in half. Divide the mixture evenly between two halves creating two servings.
- You can change the flavor profile by using a different variety of shredded cheese.
- Store Twice Baked Potatoes chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat on a sheet pan in a 350°F oven, in an air fryer or in single servings in the microwave just until heated through.
More Easy Potato Recipes to Make
- Loaded Baked Potato Salad is the ultimate side dish for grilled steak, chicken, pork or seafood.
- Homemade Hash Browns are a country classic you can enjoy for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner.
- Au Gratin Potatoes feature thinly sliced potatoes smothered with a homemade sauce.
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Potato Casserole turns potatoes into a main course.
- Loaded Potato Cakes recipe turns mashed potatoes into a crispy crunchy side dish.
- You'll love these breakfast inspired Twice Baked Potatoes with Spinach Bacon and Eggs.
- Baby Potato Kabobs from BHG.
THANKS FOR VISITING COME BACK SOON!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Twice Bake Potatoes
- 6 large baking potatoes
- olive oil or vegetable oil and coarse sea salt
- 6 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1 bunch green onions whites end chopped, green end thinly sliced, divided use
- 1 8 oz sour cream
- 6 oz chive and onion cream cheese softened
- ½ cup butter cubed
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 1.0 oz packet dry Ranch dressing mix
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese divided use
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Have nearby a baking sheet.
- Wash pat dry with paper towels and place on a baking sheet. Use a fork to poke each potato a few times on top.
- Drizzle each potato with a small amount of oil rubbing all over. Sprinkle with coarse sea salt (eyeball the amount) and bake for 50-60 minutes or until the tip of a knife easily glides thru the middle and they're cooked through
- Carefully cut around a ½ inch slice from the top of each potato. Use a spoon to scoop out the potato flesh placing into a medium bowl leaving around a ¼ inch border of potato attached to the skin to stabilize. Place the scooped out potato shells back onto the baking sheet.
- To the potato filling add sour cream, cream cheese, butter, heavy cream, Ranch dressing mix, garlic powder, salt, black pepper, white parts of green onions, bacon and 1 cup shredded cheese. Using an electric mixer, beat the mixture until desired creaminess. (You can make the filling smooth or leave a bit chunky to your personal taste.) Reserve some bacon for tops and green onion for garnishing.
- Fill each potato shell with the potato mixture. Top each potato with the remaining 1 cup of cheddar cheese and reserved bacon. Bake in the oven until the potato filling is warmed through, around 20 minutes.
- Garnish green onions and serve immediately.
- You can use light sour cream, low fat cream cheese, light butter and low fat shredded cheese for this recipe.
- You can also use turkey bacon.
Hi Melissa. Do you think these could be baked and then frozen?
You can freeze them, sure. Thaw in the refrigerator and reheat in a 375°F oven.