These nested potato skins were born out of a desire to develop a more updated and elegant version to serve at a luncheon, brunch or tea. So, I began to experiment with different options and I put together these potato nests. They were a huge hit then and now and are often requested as a side dish, too. Even with the update, these nested potato skins are still requested by my family for our game day munchies, too. They’re a terrific choice on any day when serving superb appetizers is in order.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Nested Potato Skins [Potato Skin Nests]
- 3 cups freshly shredded russet potatoes or frozen shredded hash browns or 20 oz pkg refrigerated shredded hash browns
- 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 beaten egg whites
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1 1/2 cups colby-jack cheese
- 16 oz sour cream
- 8-10 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- chopped parsley or chives for garnishing
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Spray a 12 cup muffin tin with cooking spray. Set aside.
- If using fresh potatoes: Shred the unpeeled potatoes into a medium size mixing bowl using a box grater or food processor. Blot gently with a paper towel to remove any excess moisture. Don't rinse. If using frozen shredded hash browns: Thaw completely before adding to the mixing bowl.
- Mix shredded potatoes, egg whites, Parmesan cheese, salt, onion powder, garlic powder and pepper together.
- Scoop 1/4 cup of potato mixture into each muffin cup. Usie a small glass to press the potato mixture firmly into the bottom and up the sides of each cup.
- Spritz each nest with butter flavored cooking spray. Alternately, drizzle each with melted butter.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes or until cooked through and golden. Sprinkle with shredded cheese in the last few minutes of baking.
- Remove from the oven and gently run a knife or an offset spatula around each nest to loosen the edges. Allow to cool in the pan for around 2 minutes before attempting to remove.
- To assemble: Top with sour cream and crumbled bacon. Garnish with finely chopped parsley or chives. Serve warm.
Serve as a side dish with steaks, chicken or pork.
Fill with eggs and crumbled bacon or sausage topped with a drizzle of hollandaise for breakfast.
Fill with pulled pork barbecue and cheddar cheese.
Fill with taco meat and top with your favorite South of the Border toppings.