This light Creamy Cucumber Onion Salad features bright and refreshing flavors. In it, English cucumber slices are tossed with a beautifully seasoned homemade dressing. The sweet and tangy flavor combination makes it ideal to be served alongside a plethora of entrees.
Easy Creamy Cucumber Onion Salad Recipe
How to Make the Best Creamy Cucumber Onion Salad Recipe
Traditionally, Southern cooks would make this cucumber salad with sour cream. For this recipe I’ve switched it up using plain Greek yogurt in the same amount as sour cream with great success. It also gives the added bonus of extra protein. This simple cucumber salad is complementary to so many meals, it’s a fantastic way to use extra cucumbers when they come in with a vengeance during garden season.
- Ingredients you’ll need to make this recipe for easy Creamy Cucumber Onion Salad: One English cucumber, sour cream OR plain Greek yogurt, salt, apple cider vinegar, granulated sugar, fresh dill, garlic powder, onion powder and white pepper. You’ll also need one thinly sliced Vidalia or sweet onion. You could use a red onion, too.
- Why draw the liquid from the cucumbers? The purpose of drawing some of the liquid out of the cucumbers before combining with the rest of the ingredients is to keep them from releasing excess juices into the dressing and causing it to break down or separate.
- It’s important to allow ample time for the cucumber onion salad to chill. At least 2 hours and even longer will serve you well. Assembling everything in advance and giving it time to chill thoroughly will give the flavors time to marry before serving.
- When choosing cucumbers, choose ripe firm cucumbers. I don’t peel them for this recipe, but it you have an aversion to the skin of cucumbers, you can.
- English cucumbers are perfection for this salad due to the lack of seeds. You can use a classic slicing cucumber, if that’s what you have on hand. This is another place that there’s no need to sweat the small stuff.
- You can store this cucumber salad in an airtight container chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. I don’t recommend freezing cucumber salad.
More Southern Salad Recipes to Make
There’s no wrong time of year to add a salad to the menu either as an entrée or a side. They provide texture, color and pair with most anything that your heart desires from sandwiches, to grilled steak, chicken or pork or even burgers pasta. A few other recipes you may like to try:
- My Chopped Chickpea Salad with Avocado is delicious as a side dish or a light meal.
- Carrot Raisin Salad with Pineapple is a retro salad that everyone loves.
- Spinach Salad with Honey Dijon Vinaigrette is loaded with pecans, Granny Smith apples and bacon all drizzled with a homemade vinaigrette.
- No picnic is complete without Southern Potato Salad.
- Sweet and salty Watermelon Salad.
- Layered Southwestern Cornbread Salad can be served as a side dish or with tortilla chips for dipping.
- Caprese Salad from The Pioneer Woman.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Creamy Cucumber Onion Salad
- 1 English cucumber sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 1 tsp kosher salt divided
- 1 cup Greek yogurt OR sour cream
- 3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tbsp granulated sugar or sweetener of choice adjust to taste
- 2 tsp fresh dill chopped
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp celery seed
- 1/8 tsp white pepper
- 1 medium Vidalia onion thinly sliced
- Arrange sliced cucumbers side by side on doubled paper towels. Sprinkle lightly with 1/2 tsp kosher salt then gently press another paper towel on top. Rest for 30 minutes to allow juices to be released.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the remaining 1/2 tsp kosher salt, yogurt or sour cream, vinegar, sugar, dill, garlic powder, onion powder, celery seed and white pepper.
- Stir in cucumber and onion. Mix well, taste and adjust salt, if needed. Chill for 2 hours or until serving.
- Sprinkle with additional fresh dill before serving, if desired.