This light Creamy Cucumber Onion Salad features bright and refreshing flavors. In it, English cucumber slices are tossed with a beautifully seasoned homemade dressing. The sweet and tangy flavor combination makes it ideal to be served alongside a plethora of entrees.
Greek Yogurt Or Sour Cream For the Dressing?
Traditionally, Southern cooks would make this cucumber salad with sour cream and I've done so many times myself. Lately, I've been using plain Greek yogurt in the same amount with great success. It also gives the added bonus of extra protein. Complimentary for so many meals, it's a fantastic way to use extra cucumbers when they come in with a vengeance during garden season. Assemble it in advance and chill thoroughly to give the flavors time to marry before serving. For another fun variation on cucumber salad checkout this Asian Cucumber Salad from Dinner At The Zoo.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Creamy Cucumber Onion Salad
- 1 English cucumber sliced ⅛-inch thick
- 1 tsp kosher salt divided
- 1 cup Greek yogurt OR sour cream
- 3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tbsp granulated sugar or sweetener of choice adjust to taste
- 2 tsp fresh dill chopped
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp celery seed
- ⅛ tsp white pepper
- 1 medium Vidalia onion thinly sliced
- Arrange sliced cucumbers side by side on doubled paper towels. Sprinkle lightly with ½ tsp kosher salt then gently press another paper towel on top. Rest for 30 minutes to allow juices to be released.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the remaining ½ tsp kosher salt, yogurt or sour cream, vinegar, sugar, dill, garlic powder, onion powder, celery seed and white pepper.
- Stir in cucumber and onion. Mix well, taste and adjust salt, if needed. Chill for 2 hours or until serving.
- Sprinkle with additional fresh dill before serving, if desired.