This spectacular Spinach Salad with Honey Dijon Vinaigrette is just like the sort you may pay top dollar for when dining out. Crisp baby leaf spinach is topped with crumbled feta cheese, honey glazed pecans, egg, red onion, apple slices, baby portabella mushrooms and plenty of bacon, of course. The homemade honey Dijon vinaigrette drizzled on top is the finishing touch. Serve as a side dish or transform it into an entree salad topped with grilled chicken or shrimp. Either way it’s sure to impress.
I must admit, I eat a salad in some form nearly every single day, I simply never tire of them. Salads make quick and easy meals and can be varied depending on what ingredients I have on hand. They’re also a fantastic way to use up fresh vegetables before they expire. Salads like my Italian spaghetti salad, chicken bacon ranch layer salad, and chopped chickpea salad with avocado double as a side dish or busy day entree. This spinach salad is filled with so many delicious ingredients I actually love showcasing them by arranging each on top for presentation then toss the salad with the vinaigrette just before serving. Otherwise, let your family serve themselves then drizzle the honey Dijon vinaigrette on top in the amount that’s to their liking.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Spinach Salad with Honey Dijon Vinaigrette
- 1 cup pecans roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 12 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1 lb bacon cooked and crumbled
- 3 large hard boiled eggs sliced
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup sliced baby portabella mushrooms
- 1 Granny Smith apple cored and thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion thinly sliced
- Honey Dijon Vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp bacon drippings
- 1 tsp grated onion or 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 2/3 cup canola or vegetable oil
- In a non-stick skillet over medium high heat melt the honey, butter and sugar together.
- Add the pecans stirring constantly until mixture has reduced and the pecans are completely coated for around 3-5 minutes.Pour onto a silpat or non-stick surface to cool then break apart.
- Arrange the spinach, bacon, egg, feta, mushrooms, apple and onion in a large salad bowl .
- In a medium-size mixing bowl whisk together the honey, vinegar, Dijon, bacon drippings, onion, garlic salt and pepper.
- Drizzle the oil slowly in a steady stream whisking constantly until emulsified and thickened.
- Toss salad lightly with vinaigrette just before serving and serve extra on the side. (Makes 1 1/2 cups)
- Serve immediately.
The vinaigrette can be made in advance, if desired. Store chilled in an air tight container and shake well before serving.