Creole Squash Cakes with Spicy Aioli turns squash into a farmstand rock star. Fresh squash seasoned beautifully then shaped into individual portions and fried until golden. The Cajun spiced aioli takes them over-the-top.
Easy Creole Squash Cakes with Spicy Aioli Recipe
These fresh yellow squash cakes are perfectly seasoned using Cajun and Creole flavors. They’re pan fried until golden and then served with a spicy aioli. The aioli is optional as they’re quite delicious all on their own. Serve them year-round as a side dish or an appetizer. How to make Cajun Squash Cakes and Aioli. (Scroll down for full printable recipe.)
- Prepare Aioli: At least 2 hours before serving mix together mayonnaise, chili sauce, creole mustard, creole seasoning, lemon juice and garlic. Chill until serving.
- Squash – Grate the zucchini and yellow squash then ring in paper towels or a kitchen towel to remove any excess moisture.
- Add to a medium mixing bowl with the crushed cracker crumbs, grated Parmesan-Romano cheese, large eggs, grated sweet onion, parsley, Creole seasoning and garlic powder.
- Mix Well – Use a spoon or large spatula and mix until the mixture comes together and is fully combined.
- Heat Oil – On the stove top in a large skillet, heat around 4 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Divide the Squash Mixture – Use an ice cream scoop to divide the squash mixture and scoop into the pan. Cook for 3-4 minutes, then turn and press.
- Remove to a paper towel to drain any excess oil then serve hot with a side of aioli.
How to Make the BEST Creole Squash Cakes with Spicy Aioli
- Ingredients you’ll need to make Creole Squash Cakes with Spicy Aioli: Grated zucchini and yellow squash, crushed cracker crumbs i.e. Cheez-It Italian Four Cheese, grated Parmesan-Romano cheese, large eggs, grated sweet onion, fresh parsley, creole seasoning (I used Tony Chachere’s) and garlic powder.
- To make the Spicy Aioli: Mayonnaise, chili sauce, creole mustard, creole seasoning, garlic clove, lemon juice.
- Kitchen tools you’ll need: Large skillet, medium bowl, measuring cups and spoons, box grater or food processor, turning spatula and cheese grater.
- You can use your favorite brand of Creole seasoning in this recipe. Different brands have varying amounts of heat and sodium so, adjust the amount accordingly. One brand that’s readily available is made by Zatarain’s.
- The creole seasoning in both the squash cakes and the aioli adds a nice kick and the spice provides a nice contrast to the earthiness of this dish.
- The purpose of the dry cracker crumbs is that they’ll help soak up any residual moisture after ringing the liquid from the squash. The eggs and grated Parmesan will bind the mixture.
- When cooking squash cakes, don’t be tempted to flatten until they’ve been turned. Otherwise, the wet batter will only stick to the spatula.
- Store Squash Cakes with Spicy Aioli chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Reheat in the microwave or in a nonstick skillet over medium heat.
More Squash Side Dishes to Make
- Butternut Squash Soup topped with roasted butternut squash seeds and a dollop of sour cream.
- Squash Croquettes are made using acorn squash’s cousin, yellow squash.
- Homestyle Squash Casserole is a potluck favorite that’s delicious year-round.
- Chicken Parmesan Spaghetti Squash is a fun way to shake-up your main dishes.
- Baked Squash Parmesan makes a delicious meatless entree or side dish option with pasta.
- Crispy Fried Squash makes a tasty side dish or an appetizer.
- Single serving Stuffed Acorn Squash.
- Zucchini Ribbon Skewers from How Sweet Eats.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Creole Squash Cakes with Spicy Aioli
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup chili sauce
- 1 tsp creole mustard
- 1/2 tsp creole seasoning
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- For the Squash Cakes you’ll need:
- 2 cups each grated zucchini and yellow squash
- 1 cup crushed cracker crumbs i.e. Cheez-It Italian Four Cheese
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan-Romano cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp grated sweet onion
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp creole seasoning [I used Tony Chachere’s]
- 1/2 garlic powder
- Aioli: In a small bowl mix together 1/2 cup of mayonnaise, 1/3 cup of chili sauce, 1 tsp creole mustard, 1/2 tsp creole seasoning, 1/2 tsp lemon juice and one minced garlic clove. Chill until serving.
- Squash Cakes: Grate the zucchini and yellow squash then ring in paper towels or a kitchen towel to remove any excess moisture.
- Add to a medium mixing bowl with cracker crumbs, shredded cheese, eggs, onion, parsley, Creole seasoning and garlic powder. Use a spoon or large spatula and mix until the mixture comes together and is fully combined
- On the stove top in a large skillet heat around 4 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat. (Additional oil will need to be added to the pan between batches.)
- Use a 4 ounce ice cream scoop to divide the squash mixture and scoop into the pan. Don't attempt to flatten the squash cakes until you turn them, the batter is sticky and it will only stick to the spatula. Cook for 3-4 minutes, then turn.
- Press gently to flatten to about 3/4 inches thick cooking for another 4 minutes or until cooked through. The cakes should be golden and crispy. Remove to a paper towel to drain any excess oil.
- Serve hot with a side of creamy spicy aioli.