This stuffed Chicken Parmesan Spaghetti Squash is a tasty way to add variety to the family dinner rotation. It's a fresh and delicious take on stuffed squash that's certain to become a favorite.
Easy Stuffed Chicken Spaghetti Squash Recipe
You may be wondering, what is spaghetti squash? Spaghetti squash is not to be confused with butternut squash, even though both are a similar in size and a larger variety of squash. When roasted, butternut squash results in a creamy almost buttery soft texture. Spaghetti squash on the other hand, earned its descriptive name due to the stringy texture of the flesh after cooking. The interior can easily be shredded with a fork and the strings resemble strands of spaghetti, hence the name. Both varieties have a center filled with seeds that have to be removed before cooking. Spaghetti squash is packed with nutrients and fiber and the texture makes it a tasty substitute for pasta.
How to Make the Best Chicken Parmesan Spaghetti Squash
This recipe isn't just for the carb shy, it's absolutely delicious for a one dish meal year-round. It's a fantastic way to get the kids to eat their vegetables and that's always a win.
- To make this recipe you'll need the following kitchen gadgets: A sharp knife for slicing the squash in half, for chopping the chicken and also for dicing the onion. A glass baking dish or a the equivalent of a microwave safe dish large enough to hold the squash, measuring spoons and cups, a large skillet which will also serve as a mixing bowl, a cheese grater and serving tools.
- Ingredients you'll need: One large spaghetti squash and roughly chopped cooked chicken. For this you can use either a rotisserie chicken or leftover chicken. A good quality marinara sauce, shredded cheese and Parmesan cheese plus assorted Italian seasonings in addition to salt and pepper. Fresh parsley and basil.
- When choosing a marinara sauce, choose a really good brand that you already enjoy. I chose to use Classico four cheese for added flavor. I recommend serving some warm sauce on the side for those who'd like to add more to their squash.
- Roasting the squash upside down allows the interior to steam, making it easier to shred using a fork.
- You can serve this as a side dish, too.
- The amounts in this recipe will easily double, if you need a larger amount.
Side Dishes to Serve with Chicken Parmesan Spaghetti Squash
Side dishes that pair well with any Italian entrée will work like a charm alongside this dish as well. A few suggestions you may like to try are a gorgeous Seven Layer Salad or a fresh and flavorful Spinach Salad. I also love serving roast vegetables with this recipe such as Panko Parmesan Roasted Broccoli and Oven Roasted Asparagus drizzled with a sweet balsamic glaze. Of course, if you're not watching carbs, Cheesy Garlic and Herb Bread is a must.
More Southern Style Chicken Recipes to Make
Try adding these chicken recipes to your must-make file:
- Juicy Baked Chicken Breasts can be on the table with ease any night of the week.
- Air Fryer Chicken Thighs are marinated in yogurt giving them that tender on the inside crispy on the outside texture.
- Italian Chicken with Balsamic Onions and Mushrooms is a one dish meal.
- Pineapple Glazed Jerk Chicken is sweet and spicy.
- Chicken Burrito Bowls are a fabulous option and you can swap out cauliflower rice for long grain rice.
- Greek Chicken Kabobs from Two Peas and Their Pod.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Chicken Parmesan Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
- 1 large spaghetti squash sliced in half from top to bottom
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 cup marinara sauce (i.e. Four cheese or similar)
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- ½ teaspoon dry Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes optional
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese divided
- 4 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil plus additional leaves for garnishing
- 2 teaspoon chopped Italian parsley
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place spaghetti squash halves cut-side-down in a glass baking dish. Pour in enough water to come 1-inch up the sides of the dish. Microwave on high for 5-8 minutes, or until the squash can easily be pierced with a fork. Set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook onion in olive oil over medium high heat. Cook for 3-5 minutes until softened. To the skillet add chicken, marinara sauce, garlic salt, Italian seasoning, black pepper, red pepper flakes. Mix well, remove from heat. Add 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese and 2 tablespoon Parmesan cheese plus Italian parsley and basil. Stir until fully incorporated.
- To assemble: Turn the squash halves cut-side-up and use a fork to loosen the strands. Scoop spaghetti strands into the skillet with the chicken mixture and stir to combine. Stuff each squash half with the chicken and spaghetti squash mixture and top with reserved mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Place the stuffed squash halves in a baking dish and transfer to the preheated oven. Cook for 20-30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
- Garnish with fresh basil and serve.