These Cutout Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies are a family holiday tradition at our house. The creamy batter makes spectacular sugar cookies for the holidays and can be used as a fun family project when baked and decorated for gift giving and sharing with friends and neighbors. Sprinkle with colorful sugar crystals prior to baking or decorate with your favorite frosting after they’ve cooled, for a sweet project kids of all ages are sure to enjoy.
These cream cheese sugar cookies are so special I had to include the recipe in my cookbook. It was my desire that they be in print for my children and their children to come and share them with your families as well. Imagine my surprise (and dismay) when I opened to the page on which they were featured and saw somehow there had been an omission of the sugar when the manuscript was edited for printing. Sugar cookies with no sugar will never do. So, while I hadn’t initially intended to share this cookie recipe here on my website, I wanted to so it would be available to everyone the way it’s meant to be made, with the sugar. So, Merry Christmas from my sugar-filled cookie kitchen to yours.
See Melissa’s Southern Cookbook here
You may also like:
Cutout Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies
- 3 cup all purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup butter softened
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp pure almond extract
- 1 ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- Frosting sprinkles and seasonal pareils for decorating
- Sift together the flour, salt and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the softened butter, cream cheese, vanilla and almond extract. Beat for 2 minutes until fluffy and light.
- Add the sugar. Beat for 2 minutes or until fully creamed together.
- Add the egg yolks one at a time beating well after each addition. Beat for 2 minutes on high. The creamed mixture should be fluffy and light yellow in color.
- Gradually add the flour and mix on low speed until combined. Divide the dough in half and shape into a disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 2 hours or until firm.
- To bake preheat the oven to 375°F and line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- On a floured surface, roll one disc of the chilled dough to 1/3-inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes using floured cutters. Place at least 1 1/2-inch apart on the parchment lined cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until the edges are golden. Cool completely on a cooling rack.
- When the cookies have cooled frost and decorate as desired.