These Sour Cream Sugar Cookies feature a delightful sour cream infused dough that gives them a fantastic flavor. The creamy texture given to the dough by the sour cream is magical. Bake a batch for your sweetie and fill your cookie jar with love.
So pretty and fun to eat!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Sour Cream Sugar Cookies
Servings: 30 two inch or 24 three inch cookies
- 1 cup softened butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 [8 oz] sour cream [not low fat]
- 3 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp pure almond extract
- 4 1/2 cups all purpose flour [plus add'l for dusting the work surface]
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp almond or lemon extract
- 1/2 tsp clear vanilla extract
- 1/8-1/4 cup light corn syrup [plus add'l as needed]
- To make the dough, cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs one at a time mixing well after each addition. Next, add the sour cream and vanilla. Beat together on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- In separate bowl, sift together the flour, salt and baking powder.
- Lower the speed of the mixer and gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients slowly. Stop the mixer and scrape the sides of the bowl as needed. Mix just until the dough has come together.
- Form the dough into one large or two medium discs and wrap the dough tightly in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour or overnight.
- When you're ready to bake cookies, preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Flour a non-stick surface and rolling pin, and roll the dough out to about 1/3-1/2 inch thickness. Use a flour dipped cookie cutter to cut into your favorite shapes. Place onto a baking sheet at least 1 inch apart.
- Bake at 375°F for 8-10 minutes or until the edges become golden.
- Cool completely on a wire racks before decorating.
- Decorate as desired.
- Optional icing directions: Mix together 2 cup powdered sugar, 1/2 tsp almond extract, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract and corn syrup in a mixing bowl until the sugar is completely smooth.
- Start with 1/8 cup of corn syrup, then add extra in small amounts until you reach the desired consistency.
- If you choose to color this icing, I suggest using gel color because it won't liquefy the mixture quite as much.
- This icing will dry shiny but it doesn't get crunchy like a traditional royal icing.
When mixing your icing, be patient. If you feel the need to add more corn syrup do it slowly in small amounts and stir like crazy!! If you get the icing too thin, your cookies won't store well and they'll become soggy.