This lush Easy Banana Pudding is a potluck dessert star. The simple pudding filling is creamy and smooth and requires to cooking at all. It's suitable for serving at any type of event, from casual family gatherings, summer picnics or high brow holiday parties. It's luscious to the very last spoonful.
A Southern Dessert Classic
Banana pudding is a Southern dessert classic and I'm admittedly, obsessed with it in any form. This is fully represented in the MSSK recipe index. I'm forever looking for more ways to enjoy the same flavors that we love in different forms. In the recipes available here on my website, you'll find banana pudding cupcakes, banana pudding cream cheese pound cake and banana pudding gooey butter cake just to name a few. If you're a die hard old fashioned meringue topped banana pudding fan well, I have that version, too.
Tips for Making Easy Banana Pudding
- While this dish may look fussy, it truly isn't. I enjoy pulling out my piping bag for garnishing desserts but, you can finish the top your way, no worries.
- This dessert can be made one day in advance. When doing so, make a special effort to seal the banana layers as much as possible to delay browning. If you want to go the extra mile, toss banana slices lightly with lemon juice prior to assembling.
- Depending on the size of the dish you use, additional vanilla wafers may be needed. Have an extra box on hand so, you'll have what you need when assembling.
- The same goes for bananas, there's really no wrong amount, you can use more, if preferred.
- I made this in a 5 quart trifle dish since I adore trifles and have several in different sizes. You may use any similar size bowl. Keep in mind, it's better to go larger than smaller with these sorts of layered desserts.
When To Serve
Enjoy this stunning trifle-like layered dessert for any occasion, whether it's a casual or more formal gathering. You may also like to add this recipe for banana pudding cheesecake to your recipe file from The Country Cook.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Easy Banana Pudding
- 2 cups whole milk or half & half
- 2 3.4 oz boxes instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 8 oz container spreadable cream cheese softened
- 1 8 oz sour cream
- 2 8 oz frozen whipped topping thawed
- 1 11 oz box vanilla wafers plus additional for garnishing
- 6 medium bananas sliced
- Using an electric mixer whip together milk, pudding mix and vanilla until thickened but still pourable. Pour into a separate bowl. Set aside.
- To the same mixing bowl add sweetened condensed milk, cream cheese and sour cream. Beat with mixer until smooth and fully combined.
- Lower the speed of the mixer and beat pudding back into condensed milk mixture. Beat until fully combined. By hand fold in one 8 oz container whipped topping.
- To assemble: In a 4-5 quart trifle bowl or dish, layer vanilla wafers, sliced bananas and pudding. Depending on size and shape of dish, I usually divide into thirds. Repeat until all is used ending with pudding.
- Frost the top with remaining whipped topping and decorate with additional vanilla wafers, if desired.
- Chill for at least 4 hours prior to serving.