This Old Fashioned Banana Pudding is style of banana pudding my Mom and Gramma’s made. Made with a rich vanilla egg custard that’s layered with vanilla wafers and slices of bananas then topped with a billowy homemade meringue that’s like velvet on your tongue. The only difficult part about this vintage dessert is waiting for it to chill before eating.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Old Fashioned Banana Pudding
- 1 12 oz can evaporated milk
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 6 large egg yolks reserve egg whites
- 2 1/3 cup half & half
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 11 oz box vanilla wafers
- 4 medium bananas sliced
- 6 reserved egg whites
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cream of tarter
- 6 Tbsp granulated sugar
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, whisk together the evaporated milk, granulated sugar, flour and salt until dissolved.
- On the stove top in a heavy bottomed saucepan over medium-high, warm the evaporated milk mixture.
- In the same mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the half & half. Whisk into the warmed evaporated milk mixture.
- Cook stirring constantly for 10-15 minutes over medium heat until the flour has cooked and the custard has thickened. Once thickened remove from the heat and whisk in 2 Tbsp of butter and 1 Tbsp of pure vanilla. Set aside
- Layer the bottom of a 7 x 11-inch oven safe dish with vanilla wafers. Top with banana slices. Cover with 1/2 of the custard. Repeat ending with custard.
- Whip the 6 reserved egg whites with the vanilla, and cream of tarter. Sweeten with granulated sugar.
- Whip for 3-5 minutes or until stiff peaks form. Spread the meringue on top of the banana pudding.
- Set the oven to broil to toast the top until golden.
- Garnish the edge with vanilla wafers, if desired.
- Store chilled.
- If you'd like to garnish the edge with vanilla wafers, separate out the amount needed to rim the dish before assembling the banana pudding. Use the rest in the dish.
- Make a double batch to fill a 13 x 9 inch dish