Banana Pudding Cupcakes are a Fusion of Two Favorites
We love cupcakes at our house! What's not to love, right? The versatility of flavor combinations and fillings is only limited by your imagination. They don't require forks or spoons and... they're portable! I often make not only frosted but, filled cupcakes and have for many many years. Long before there was a show on TV highlighting creative cupcakes in all flavors. They're fun to make and it's hard not to smile when you're holding a cupcake.
My Obsession with Banana Pudding
My lifelong obsession with banana pudding brought this particular cupcake to life, and it remains one of my most downloaded recipes to date. I've had brides who loved these banana pudding goodies so much they served them at their wedding reception. Now, that's true cupcake love. My dream for this banana pudding cupcake was to combine two desserts to make one delectable handheld treat and that's exactly what it does.
- If you prefer to bake completely from scratch, you may prefer to use my recipe for Old Fashioned Butter Cake in place of the cake mix. My family refers to these cupcakes as "portable banana pudding." It doesn't get any better than that.
- Other fun banana pudding recipes you might like to take a peek at is this reboot called Not Yo Mama's Banana Pudding from Princess Pinky Girl.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Banana Pudding Cupcakes
- 1 box vanilla cake mix plus ingredients to prepare (Use whole milk or buttermilk in place of water)
- 1 8 oz container spreadable light cream cheese softened
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 3.4 oz package instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 16 oz container frozen whipped topping thawed & divided
- 3 bananas
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup crushed vanilla wafer crumbs for garnishing
- To prepare the cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 350°F and line two 12 cup muffin tins with liners.
- Prepare the cake mix per the instructions on the box using milk or buttermilk in place of the water. Use the same quantity of eggs recommended by the package directions. Bake the cupcakes per the directions then set aside to cool. (From scratch Old Fashioned Butter Cake)
- To prepare the filling: In a mixing bowl, whip together the softened cream cheese and the sweetened condensed milk for around 2 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add the milk, vanilla and instant vanilla pudding mix.
- Whip the ingredients together on medium-high speed for 3-4 minutes until the mixture thickens. Fold in 1 cup of whipped topping by hand.
- Slice and quarter the bananas just before adding to the custard, so, they won't brown. Fold the chunks of chopped banana into the custard.
- To assemble: Using a sharp knife, cut the middle out of each cupcake leaving a ½ inch border around the edge.
- Sprinkle half of the crushed vanilla wafer crumbs into the bottom of the cupcake shells reserving the other half for garnishing the tops.
- Divide the filling between the cupcakes.
- To finish the cupcakes, pipe a dollop of whipped topping on top and sprinkle the tops with the remaining crushed vanilla wafer crumbs.
- Chill thoroughly before serving.