This snack size Fresh Apple Cake With A Pecan Praline Sauce encapsulates all of my favorite things in a fresh apple cake. A dense rich caramel batter, fresh apple slices and toasted pecans. Top that with a homemade pecan praline sauce and it’s pretty much perfection in my book. The only thing left to do is to top it with a dollop of fresh whipped cream and enjoy the feeling of contentment after eating. Then you might want to take either a nap or a long walk. Maybe both.
The homemade cake batter in this recipe is thick nearly as thick as a cookie dough. The juice from the apples magically fills the batter while it’s baking and it becomes moist and buttery. The cake is so good you could serve it slightly warm with a dusting of powdered sugar alone and it would be amazing but, the homemade pecan praline sauce takes it over-the-top and it’s so easy to make. Since this cake is made in a single layer in a 9-inch square pan, it’s fantastic for those smaller gatherings when you don’t want too many leftovers. If you want a smaller portion still, before glazing cut into desired size pieces and wrap them individually in freezer wrap and pop into the freezer. Thaw frozen pieces of apple cake overnight in the fridge, and enjoy a piece simply dusted with powdered sugar or whip up a batch of the pecan praline sauce when you want a little sumthin’ sumthin’ apple. Alongside a cup of coffee or hot tea this cake is my kind of mid morning treat. When serving this dessert immediately, I like to have fresh whipped cream ready for those who might enjoy a dollop on their cake. The cinnamon, apples, toasted pecans and buttery praline sauce turns this into one Southern style delight.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Fresh Apple Cake With A Pecan Praline Sauce
- 1 1/4 cup roughly chopped pecans toasted
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla
- 4 medium apples peeled cored and thinly sliced
- Pecan Praline Sauce
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Fresh whipped cream for serving optional
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Spread the pecans in a single layer on a baking sheet. Toast for 5-7 minutes. Cool completely.
- Sift together the flour, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, ginger and nutmeg.
- In a separate bowl mix together the melted butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, eggs and vanilla.
- Add the wet to the dry ingredients and stir by hand until fully combined. Add the sliced apples, and 3/4 cup chopped pecans. Mix well.
- Spray a 9 x 9- inch non stick metal pan with baking spray. Spread the batter into the pan.
- Place into the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Lay a piece of aluminum foil on top and continue to bake for an additional 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center shows moist crumbs.
- Cool completely in the pan on a cooling rack.
- To make the pecan praline sauce:
- Add the brown sugar, heavy cream and butter to a heavy bottomed saucepan. Bring to s boil then lower the heat and cook for 2 minutes stirring constantly.
- Remove form the heat and add the vanilla and remaining 1/2 cup toasted pecans. Mix well and cool for 5-10 minutes..
- Pour over the cake prior to serving with fresh whipped cream on the side, if desired.