This homemade Green Bean Casserole takes a beloved holiday side dish to another level. It's smothered with a made-from-scratch sauce that includes a generous helping of bacon that takes the flavor of this classic over the top.
Green Bean Casserole
Green Bean Casserole was first created in 1955 by the Campbell Soup Company. The original inspiration was to make use of 2 items that most American families always had on hand. Green beans and cream of mushroom soup. Perhaps, it was also to ensure that most American families always had those items on hand. Regardless of the original intent, it's been a staple dish on supper and special occasion tables all over the country ever since.
A Classic Holiday Side Dish Gets an Update
This updated made-from-scratch version was shared with me by a very dear friend and fantastic cook. Tired of the old way, Lynn took on the task of updating and recreating this classic casserole to her taste. I'm so glad she did, I love her take on this green bean casserole, and I'm delighted she allowed me to pass on her homestyle creation to all of you. It's a keeper in my cookbook and one you can find on our holiday menu every year. Also see this recipe for Bacon Wrapped Green Bean Bundles from Spend with Pennies for another special occasion option.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Green Bean Casserole
- 1 ½ lb frozen whole green beans [i.e. 2  oz pkg Steamfresh Whole Green Beans]
- 5 slices bacon diced
- 1 medium sweet onion diced
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp granulated garlic or 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 ½ tsp Mrs Dash original blend
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 [14.5] oz can chicken stock
- 1 cup whole milk or heavy cream
- 1 cup baby portabella mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 3 slices bacon chopped
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- ¼ cup sliced almonds for garnishing
- spray oil or cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray an 8 x 12 inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Place the frozen green beans into a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 8 minutes. Drain well then set aside to cool slightly.
- In a large skillet, cook the diced bacon and onion together. Season with salt and black pepper to your taste.
- Cook over medium-high heat until browned and fully cooked. Add ½ cup all purpose flour to the pan. Stir until it resembles a paste. If needed, add chicken broth, additional butter or bacon fat to thin. Add the granulated or powdered garlic and Mrs Dash seasoning.
- Slowly pour in the turkey/chicken stock and milk, stirring constantly until the flour is dissolved and no lumps remain. The sauce will immediately begin to thicken. Taste and adjust the salt and black pepper to your taste.
- Add the green beans, mushrooms and 1 cup Parmesan cheese. Stir until evenly coated.
- Pour into the prepared baking dish.
- To make the topping: Finely dice the bacon by hand or in a food processor. [Partially frozen bacon makes this task much easier.]
- Toss with the panko breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese.
- Sprinkle evenly over the top of the casserole. Sprinkle with sliced almonds.
- Spritz the top lightly with cooking spray or spray oil.
- Bake for 35 minutes. Place aluminum foil over the top to prevent over browning if needed. Allow to rest on the counter for 5-10 minutes prior to serving.