This Easy Broccoli Casserole recipe is a potluck rock star. It's a delicious side dish option for family dinners, Sunday suppers and holiday gatherings. It's special enough for entertaining, but simple enough that you can make it any day of the week.
Best Broccoli Casserole Recipe
I absolutely love casseroles and this one tops the list of my side dish favorites. It's one of those beloved Southern side dishes that have been rotating though our kitchens for eons. No doubt, it's equally loved all throughout the country, too. It's no wonder, the combination of broccoli and cheese is one pairing that never disappoints.
How to Make Easy Broccoli Casserole Recipe
This Southern style broccoli cheese casserole is a dump and bake wonder. It does utilize canned soups and I'm completely unapologetic about it, they work like a charm adding body and flavor to the filling. Not to mention the reason it's referred to as easy.
- Do I use fresh or frozen broccoli florets for broccoli cheese casserole? You can use either one. Please note, this recipe calls for broccoli florets and not broccoli cuts, which is particularly important if f you're going to use frozen broccoli.
- You'll need around 2 ½-3 pounds of fresh broccoli or 2 pounds of frozen broccoli florets for this recipe. The difference is, once fresh broccoli is steamed it will release liquid and decrease in volume. Consider the weight of fresh broccoli without the stems which should be removed for this recipe.
- What kind of canned soup is best? I use two flavors in this recipe by design. One is cream of broccoli soup and the other is cheddar cheese soup. You could replace the cream of broccoli with cream of celery, if that's what you have on hand.
- Classic sharp cheddar cheese is my go to for broccoli casserole. It has a robust characteristic that holds up the flavor of broccoli.
- Can i substitute Cheez Whiz for the cheddar cheese soup? Yes, in the same amount, you can.
- Can I add cooked rice to this casserole? If you like rice, you may like to try my recipe for Cheesy Broccoli Rice Casserole.
- Can I assemble this in advance? You absolutely can assemble this casserole one day in advance. Cover it and chill in the refrigerator topping it with buttered Ritz cracker crumbs just before baking.
- If the broccoli casserole has been chilled, give it 15 minutes on the counter to warm before placing into the oven to bake.
- Can I make my own sauce for broccoli casserole? Yes, you can make it from scratch checkout my recipe for scratch made Broccoli Cheddar Gratin.
- Can I use a different cracker for the topping? Yes, you could use Cheez its or Club Crackers for the topping in the same amount. You can also use lower sodium or whole wheat Ritz crackers.
Other Easy Southern Casserole Recipes to Add to the Menu
I love a casserole and have many here on the website you may enjoy. Checkout these recipes and add them to your casserole menu options.
- Pineapple Casserole is a holiday classic served with ham.
- Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole is perfect at any meal.
- Southern Grits and Greens Casserole topped with bacon can be served at brunch or dinner.
- Cheesy Mashed Potato Casserole can be made in advance and baked when you're ready to eat.
- Tomato Casserole from Well Plated.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Easy Broccoli Casserole
- 6-8 cups broccoli florets steamed and roughly chopped
- 1 10 oz can cream of broccoli soup
- 1 10 oz can cheddar cheese soup
- 1 cup real mayonnaise
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt or plain salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter melted
- 1 sleeve Ritz crackers or similar crushed
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 2 quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together broccoli, broccoli soup, cheddar cheese soup, mayonnaise, butter, salt, granulated garlic, lemon pepper, onion powder, eggs and green onion.
- Add eggs and 1 cup shredded cheese, mix until fully combined. Pour into prepared dish. Sprinkle reserved 1 cup cheese on top.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, toss together melted butter with Ritz crackers. Sprinkle evenly on top.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until bubbly and lightly golden. Let stand 5 minutes, then serve.
- You'll need around 2 ½-3 pounds of fresh broccoli florets or 2 pounds of frozen broccoli florets for this recipe. The difference is, once fresh broccoli is steamed it will release liquid and decrease in volume. Consider the weight of the fresh broccoli without the stems which will be removed.