Homemade Spaghetti Sauce is the kind of comfort food you can make any night of the week. Serve it over al dente spaghetti noodles topped with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese and Italian parsley and it's Italian night at home.
Easy Homemade Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
Homemade spaghetti is comfort food no doubt about it. It also has the distinction of seeming to get better and better with each passing day. That alone makes it one of our favorite kind of leftovers to eat. How do you make Homemade Spaghetti Sauce? Begin by drizzling a large pot or Dutch oven with olive oil. Add the onion and once softened add the ground beef. Once the beef has fully browned, add the garlic. Drain any excess fat from the pan then add the crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and tomato paste. Add the seasonings called for in the recipe then stir so everything combines, and cover the pot. Let the sauce simmer on low for 45 minutes or so just to allow the flavors to fully marry. Ladle it over spaghetti then enjoy.
How to Make the Best Homemade Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
- Ingredients you'll need to make Homemade Spaghetti Sauce: Ground beef, olive oil, diced onion, crushed tomatoes, petite diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, garlic, bay leaves, dry Italian seasoning, salt, black pepper, granulated sugar, chopped parsley, grated Parmesan cheese and cooked spaghetti for serving.
- Kitchen tools you'll need: Large pot or Dutch oven, measuring spoons, large spoon for stirring, sharp knife and cutting board, cheese grater.
- The diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and tomato paste are available with some Italian seasonings already added to the mix. Usually it's garlic, basil and oregano which adds to the robust flavor of the spaghetti sauce. If you're unable to find them you can use plain versions of all three then just taste the sauce after adding the Italian seasoning and adjust the amount to your taste.
- You can use one pound of ground beef and ½ pound of Italian sausage in this recipe in place of all ground beef, if desired.
- The purpose of the sugar that's added to the sauce is to balance the acidity of the tomatoes in the sauce. It doesn't make the sauce sweet. You can also use brown sugar, if desired.
- You can add crushed red pepper flakes to give the sauce a hint of heat. Add the amount that suits your personal taste or omit them altogether.
- Spaghetti sauce will keep chilled in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- You can freeze spaghetti sauce for up to 3 months for a future meal.
More Easy Ground Beef Recipes to Make
- Mashed potato crusted Cottage Pie.
- Beef Pot Pie with Cheddar Onion Biscuits is a one dish meal.
- Teriyaki Beef Fried Rice is a delicious twist on classic fried rice.
- Nacho Beef and Macaroni is a family pleasing meal made in one skillet.
- Chili Mac Recipe is a tasty option for weekday meals and game day eats.
- Make homemade Sloppy Joes for supper and watch them disappear.
- You may also enjoy these Ground Beef Kabobs from Kalyn's Kitchen.
THANKS FOR VISITING COME BACK SOON!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
- 2-3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 1 ½ lb lean ground beef (OR use 1 lb and ½ lb Italian sausage)
- 3 medium cloves garlic minced
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 15 oz can Italian seasoned petite diced tomatoes
- 1 8 oz can Italian seasoned tomato sauce
- 6 oz can Italian seasoned tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dry Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes optional
- 2 small bay leaves (or one large)
- 2 tablespoon chopped Italian parsley for garnishing
- cooked spaghetti or angel hair pasta for serving
- To a large pot or Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add diced onion. Cook 2 minutes until softened then add ground beef, Cook for 8-10 minutes until browned and no pink remains. Add garlic, cooking for 1 minute longer. Drain excess fat from pot.
- To the pot add crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, sugar, salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes (if using) and bay leaves, Mix well.
- Bring to a gentle boil then lower the heat and simmer on low covered for 45 minutes stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- After 45 minutes, uncover and remove bay leaves. Mix well.
- Serve immediately over cooked spaghetti or angel hair pasta garnished with grated Parmesan and chopped parsley.
Love your recipies
Learning me lots and so easy to follow.
Just going to make your sauce for spaghetti.
Do you have a sauce for Lasagne please.
I'm from Scotland.
Hi Annette thanks so much for visiting from Scotland! I have several recipes for lasagna in the recipe index, you can browse them here.