Beef Pot Pie with Cheddar Onion Biscuits is a hearty and filling one dish meal. The sauce can be varied according to your taste and the drop biscuits on top are cinch to make. Serve it alone, or with a salad to round out the meal, and watch it disappear.
Biscuit Topped Beef Pot Pie and National Biscuit Month
Beef Pot Pie Topped with Cheddar Onion Biscuits is a Riff on Chicken Pot Pie
I have fond memories of seeing the kitchen counter covered in flour and my Mom rolling and cutting biscuits for our meal. There was always butter and a variety of jellies and jams, and in the Summer fresh from the garden sliced tomatoes to dress our biscuits. Biscuits here in the South tend to be more savory but, sweet biscuits or scones, are popular too. They're delectable. Homemade cheddar-onion drop biscuits make the perfect topping for this hearty beef pot pie. It's a one dish meal packed with the kind of comfort that's sure to please your hungry eaters. You may also like to checkout this recipe for Instant Pot Beef Pot Pie from Family Favorite Recipes.
Helpful Tips for making Beef Pot Pie Topped with Biscuits
This casserole is designed to keep the ingredients simple. The sauce can be made completely from scratch, if you prefer.
- You can skip the sloppy joe sauce and use a meatloaf or Italian flavored sauce, if preferred. This casserole is versatile, you can't go wrong.
- See the cook's note in the recipe template for how to make your own self rising flour.
- You can adapt the cheese to what you have on hand or your favorite flavor, in a pinch.
- An ice cream scoop makes dividing the biscuit dough super easy. You can also use a measuring cup.
- It's important to keep the biscuits similar size for even baking.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Disclaimer: The J.M. Smucker Company has compensated me for this post as one of their 2015 Brand Ambassadors representing White Lily flour. The opinions and text are all mine. Thank you for being supportive and allowing me to share trusted brands with you that I enjoy. ~ Melissa
Beef Pot Pie with Cheddar Onion Biscuits
- 2 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 small green bell seeded and diced
- 1 medium carrot peeled and diced
- 2 medium potatoes bite size cubes
- 3 clove garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- seasoned salt and black pepper
- 2 16 oz cans sloppy joe sauce See Cook's note
- ½ cup beef broth [plus additional as needed to thin]
- 1 cup frozen petite peas
- Cheddar Drop Biscuits:
- 3 cup White Lily self-rising flour
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ¾ cup cold butter cubed and divided
- 1 cup whole buttermilk
- 2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 green onion finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, over medium-high heat saute the diced onion, carrot and bell pepper in a couple of drizzles of olive oil. Season with seasoned salt and black pepper to taste. Cook for 5-7 minutes until softened and beginning to brown.
- Add the ground beef and cubed potatoes. Cook until no pink remains in the ground beef, and the potatoes are fork tender, around 12-15 minutes. Drain any excess fat from the pan, then add the minced garlic, soy sauce, sloppy joe sauce and beef broth. Cook just until heated through.
- Remove from the stovetop and add the frozen peas. Mix well. Pour into the prepared baking dish.
- To make the biscuit topping: Sift together the self-rising flour and garlic powder.
- Cut ½ cup plus 2 Tbsp cold butter into the flour until it resembles cornmeal.
- Add the cheddar cheese and diced onion. Toss until combined.
- Make a well in the center and add the buttermilk. Stir through until the dry ingredients are fully moistened.
- Use a 4 oz ice cream scoop to divide the dough into even portions. Arrange on top of the filling. Melt the remaining 2 Tbsp butter and brush the tops.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden, bubbly and the biscuits are cooked through.
2) You can adjust the flavor of the sauce to your preference. Using the same amount of a meatloaf, chili or Italian flavored tomato sauce.