This Southern style Beef Pot Pie with Cheddar Onion Biscuits is a hearty and filling one dish meal. The sauce can be varied according to your taste and the drop biscuits on top are cinch to make. Serve it alone, or with a salad to round out the meal.
Easy Beef Pot Pie with Cheddar Onion Biscuits Recipe
This country style ground beef pot pie recipe topped with cheese biscuits is the way to my family’s heart. It’s no secret that biscuits are also known as our number one house bread of the South. In particular biscuits can be found on the menu for breakfast, however they’re also served as the complementary bread at other meals. They also make a tasty biscuit sandwich, if you’re so inclined. Ingredients you’ll need to make Beef Pot Pie with Cheddar Biscuits:
- Beef – Two pounds of lean ground beef or ground sirloin.
- Vegetables – Onion, green bell pepper, carrot, medium potatoes and garlic. minced
- Sauce – Worcestershire sauce two cans of sloppy joe sauce, beef broth.
- Seasonings – Seasoned and salt and black pepper.
- Cheddar Drop Biscuits – Self-rising flour, garlic powder, salted or unsalted butter, whole buttermilk, sharp cheddar cheese and green onions.
How to Make the Best Beef Pot Pie Topped with Biscuits Recipe
This easy ground beef casserole is designed to keep the ingredients simple. The sauce can be made completely from scratch, if you prefer.
- Kitchen tools you’ll need: One large skillet, sharp knife and cutting board, medium bowl, whisk, cheese grater, measuring cups and spoons, ice cream scoop and 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
- Homemade cheddar-onion drop biscuits make the perfect topping for this beef pot pie. They’re made from scratch using self rising flour. Self rising flour already has baking powder and salt included in the mix so it’s not necessary to add more leavening.
- How do you make your own self-rising flour? For this recipe, use 3 cups all purpose flour adding one tablespoon of baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Sift together and proceed with the recipe as written.
- You could adapt this recipe using ground chicken, ground turkey or pork.
- Sloppy joe sauce is a shortcut for this recipe. You can skip the sloppy joe sauce and use a meatloaf seasoned tomato sauce, a chili flavored tomato sauce or Italian flavored pizza sauce, if preferred. This casserole is versatile, you can’t go wrong.
- You can adapt the flavor of cheese in the homemade biscuits using what you have on hand or your favorite flavor. Good ole cheddar lends a pleasing flavor there’s no need to get too fancy.
- A medium size ice cream scoop makes dividing the biscuit dough super easy and keeps them uniform in shape. You can also use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to divide the biscuit dough.
- It’s important to keep the biscuits similar size for even baking.
- Store baked Biscuit topped Beef Pot Pie chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Reheat in single servings in the microwave.
More Easy Ground Beef Recipe to Make
- Make your own Taco Meat for Taco Tuesdays.
- This Sloppy Joe Casserole is a family pleaser.
- This Enchilada Casserole is like a Mexican lasagna.
- Mashed potato topped Cottage Pie.
- Baked Ziti for Italian night at home.
- Chili with Beans for game day and chilly evenings.
- Serve this Hamburger Steak drizzled with onion gravy and a side of mashed potatoes.
- These better than takeout Black and Bleu Burgers melt in your mouth.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Disclaimer: The J.M. Smucker Company has compensated me for this post as one of their 2015 Brand Ambassadors representing White Lily flour. The opinions and text are all mine. Thank you for being supportive and allowing me to share trusted brands with you that I enjoy. ~ Melissa
Beef Pot Pie with Cheddar Onion Biscuits
- 2 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 small green bell seeded and diced
- 1 medium carrot peeled and diced
- 2 medium potatoes bite size cubes
- 3 clove garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- seasoned salt and black pepper
- 2 16 oz cans sloppy joe sauce See Cook's note
- 1/2 cup beef broth plus additional as needed to thin
- 1 cup frozen petite peas
- Cheddar Drop Biscuits Recipe:
- 3 cup White Lily self-rising flour
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 cup cold butter cubed and divided
- 1 cup whole buttermilk
- 2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 green onion finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray a 13×9 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, over medium-high heat saute the diced onion, carrot and bell pepper in a couple of drizzles of olive oil. Season with seasoned salt and black pepper to taste. Cook for 5-7 minutes until softened and beginning to brown.
- Add the ground beef and cubed potatoes. Cook until no pink remains in the ground beef, and the potatoes are fork tender, around 12-15 minutes. Drain any excess fat from the pan, then add the minced garlic, soy sauce, sloppy joe sauce and beef broth. Cook just until heated through.
- Remove from the stovetop and add the frozen peas. Mix well. Pour into the prepared baking dish.
- Biscuits: Sift together the self-rising flour and garlic powder.
- Cut 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp cold butter into the flour until it resembles cornmeal.
- Add the cheddar cheese and diced onion. Toss until combined.
- Make a well in the center and add the buttermilk. Stir through until the dry ingredients are fully moistened.
- Use a 4 oz ice cream scoop to divide the dough into even portions. Arrange on top of the filling. Melt the remaining 2 Tbsp butter and brush the tops.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden, bubbly and the biscuits are cooked through.
2) You can adjust the flavor of the sauce to your preference. Using the same amount of a meatloaf, chili or Italian flavored tomato sauce.