Easy Nacho Beef and Macaroni Recipe
Casseroles like this Mexican inspired nacho beef and macaroni are on our menu all year-round. I tend to gravitate to them most often on busy weekdays, when I can put them together ahead of time; then sprinkle the top with bread crumbs, cheese, or in this case, crushed Doritos just before baking. Easy ground beef recipes such as Beef and Noodles, Barbecue Beef and Tater Tot Casserole and Busy Day Lasagna always bring the family to the table in a hurry.
How to Make the Best Nacho Beef and Macaroni Recipe
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade Nacho Beef and Macaroni: Elbow macaroni, ground beef, Rotel Chili Fixins tomatoes, diced onion, diced poblano or green bell pepper, red bell pepper, garlic, olive oil, garlic salt and lemon pepper (or black pepper), fiesta nacho cheese and cheddar cheese soup, milk, shredded colby jack cheese, one packet of taco seasoning, crushed nacho flavored Doritos, Mexican oregano and cilantro.
- Kitchen tools you’ll need: A large deep skillet or Dutch oven, sharp knife and cutting board, cheese grater, 13 x 9 inch baking dish, measuring cups and spoons and a large spoon for mixing everything together.
- The diced Rotel tomatoes used in this recipe are already seasoned for making chili. If you’re unable to find that particular kind, the seasonings will need to be adjusted to accommodate. For example, you may want to add additional cumin or chili powder depending on the brand of taco seasoning that you choose to use.
- When beginning the preparation of this Nacho Beef and Macaroni casserole using a large pot, it can then double as the mixing bowl.
- This entire casserole can be assembled several hours or one day in advance and chilled in the refrigerator. Allow it to sit on the counter for 15-20 minutes or so prior to baking to allow the ingredients to come to room temperature. You may also need to extend the bake time by a few minutes.
- You can use an alternate flavor of shredded cheese or different flavor of Doritos for this dish.
- Store baked Nacho Beef and Macaroni chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in single servings in the microwave.
Serving Suggestions for Nacho Beef and Macaroni
Casseroles stretch ingredients and if you’re feeding a crowd, this kicked-up beefy casserole will go a long way. I usually serve it with a simple Wedge Salad or a Mexican Street Corn Salad and Cornbread Muffins. Top with your favorite nacho toppings such as a dollop of sour cream, black olives, pico de gallo or salsa. Any of your favorite taco toppings will work. It’s filled the with South-of- the-border flavors that always satisfy.
More Easy Casserole Recipes to Make
- Southwestern Chicken Cavatappi uses rotisserie chicken for a time saver.
- Beefy Tamale Pie won’t break the bank.
- Mexican Chicken Tortilla Casserole is a delicious option for any night of the week.
- Cheesy Nacho Beef Rotini Skillet is made on the stovetop.
- Easy Nacho Chicken Casserole from Eating on a Dime.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Nacho Beef And Macaroni
- 5 cups cooked elbow macaroni [about 10 ounces dry]
- 1 1/2 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 medium red pepper diced
- 1 medium poblano pepper diced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp lemon pepper or black pepper
- 1 10 3/4 oz can fiesta nacho cheese soup
- 1 10 3/4 oz can cheddar cheese soup (or 1 cup cheese whiz)
- 1 10 oz can diced tomatoes and green chilies i.e. Rotel Chili Fixins'
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups shredded colby-jack cheese divided use
- 1 cup crushed nacho flavored tortilla chips
- 1 1.0 oz packet taco seasoning
- 3 Tbsp chopped cilantro divided
- 1/2 tsp Mexican oregano
- Assorted Toppings: sour cream, salsa, black olives, green onions, pico de gallo
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook the macaroni in salted water per package directions until al dente. Drain well Set aside.
- In a large dutch oven or pot, cook beef, onion and peppers over medium-high heat in a couple of drizzles of olive oil. Season with garlic salt and pepper.
- Cook until beef is browned and no pink remains. Drain excess fat from pan, add taco seasoning, 2 tablespoons cilantro and Mexican oregano. Mix well. (Reserve 1 tablespoon cilantro for garnishing.)
- To the pot add both cans of soup, tomatoes, milk, cooked macaroni and 1 cup shredded cheese. Taste and adjust the salt and pepper to your taste. Mix well.
- Pour into baking dish. Top with remaining cheese and crushed tortilla chips. and the remaining shredded cheese just before baking.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden and bubbly. Garnish with additional cilantro, topped with your favorite taco fixin's.