This easy Homemade Tartar Sauce Recipe is a dipping sauce that's ideal for serving with any of your favorite seafood dishes. Whip it up in advance and chill to give the flavors time to fully combine.
Easy Homemade Tartar Sauce Recipe
Tarter sauce is a personal favorite of mine for serving with grilled or fried fish, shrimp, crab and beyond. It's super simple to make using ingredients that you may already have in your refrigerator and pantry. How do you make Tarter Sauce? In a medium bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, pickle relish, minced onion, lemon juice, dill, granulated sugar, salt with lemon pepper or black pepper. Once combined, pop it into an airtight container and chill it for several hours to allow the flavors to marry. Voila, there you have it!
How to Make the Best Homemade Tartar Sauce
- Ingredients you'll need to make the best Homemade Tarter Sauce: 1 cup mayonnaise, ½ cup sweet pickle relish or finely diced dill pickles, 2 tablespoons minced onion, 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, 1 tablespoon fresh chopped dill, teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon granulated sugar, ½ teaspoon granulated garlic and ¼-1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper or black pepper. Whisk together and chill until serving.
- Kitchen gadgets you'll need: Mixing bowl, whisk, measuring cups and spoons, sharp knife and cutting board and citrus juicer.
- You can use lighter mayonnaise to make tarter sauce, if desired. I don't recommend using Miracle Whip but should you choose to do so, omit the sugar.
- I like fresh dill in this recipe but you could adapt using dried dill if that's what you have on hand. You'll only need a fraction of the amount so begin with ¼ teaspoon then taste and add more to your taste. Dried herbs have a much more intense flavor that fresh herbs.
- You can add 1 tablespoon of finely diced capers to the mix.
- When making sauces, it's perfectly fine to personalize. For example, a more tart sauce may suit your taste so you should use diced dill pickle. If you like a hint of sweetness, go with sweet pickle relish. The granulated sugar alone won't make the tarter sauce sweet it primarily serves to balance the flavor.
- Store Homemade Tarter Sauce in an airtight container chilled in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Southern Style Dishes to Serve with Tartar Sauce
- Crispy Panko Fried Shrimp can be served as an entree or an appetizer.
- Skip frying and make this Baked Flounder in the oven.
- This Southern Fried Catfish is the only recipe you'll ever need.
- Cajun seasoned Air Fryer Shrimp is perfectly seasoned and cooks in minutes.
- Beer Battered Fish with a side of french fries and tarter sauce for dipping.
- Jumbo Lump Crab Cakes are packed with flavor.
- Salmon Lemon Kabobs from Family Fresh Meals.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Homemade Tartar Sauce
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sweet pickle relish or finely chopped dill pickles
- 2 tablespoon finely minced onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ tsp granulated garlic
- ¼-1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper or black pepper
- In a medium size bowl whisk together mayonnaise, pickle relish, onion, lemon juice, dill, sugar, salt, granulated garlic and pepper until fully combined. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight before serving. (This can be done up to one day in advance)
I just made your recipe and is a keeper , I opted out the minced onion and still was perfect for us. thanks !
How much onion in recipe?
2 Tablespoons minced onion.