This simple hot dog cheesy macaroni casserole takes macaroni and cheese to a new level. It’s a one dish meal packed with all-beef hot dogs and jumbo elbow macaroni that’s smothered in a homemade bacon cheese sauce. It’s a dish that kids of all ages will love!
Casseroles are a great love of mine in particularly for weekday meals and potlucks. I especially love it if there’s one that’s filled with as much flavor as this cheesy goodness. I highly recommend that you use a premium hot dog for this dish and while I used jumbo elbow macaroni classic elbow macaroni will work just as well. The cheese sauce is smokey and gooey and there’s….bacon! My kids do back flip for this dish as it combines 2 of their most favorite things to eat.
The gooey cheddar bacon cheese sauce is homemade and honestly just the thing to take this dish over-the-top. Serve with a steamed vegetable or fresh salad and it’s guaranteed to disappear in a hot minute.
isclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Hot Dog Cheesy Macaroni Casserole
- 1 16 oz jumbo or classic elbow macaroni
- 7 Tbsp butter divided
- 1 small sweet onion diced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp garlic salt
- 2 tsp ground mustard
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 4 cup whole milk
- 4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese divided
- 6 slices bacon cooked and crumbled, reserve 2 Tbsp drippings
- 8 bun length quality all-beef hot dogs. sliced i.e. Nathan's
- 2 green onion thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 8 x 12-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Cook the macaroni in salted water per the package directions until al dente.
- While the macaroni cooks, in a separate pan over medium-high heat cook together 6 Tbsp of butter, 2 Tbsp reserved bacon drippings and onion.
- Cook for 3 minutes until the onion has softened. Lower the heat to medium and add the flour, garlic salt, mustard and black pepper. Stir until the flour has absorbed the butter. Cook stirring constantly for 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in the milk. Bring to a boil then immediately lower the temperature to low heat. Allow to bubble gently for 5 minutes.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and add 3 cups of cheddar cheese and crumbled bacon. Reserve 2 Tbsp crumbled bacon for garnishing. Stir until the cheese has melted.
- Drain the macaroni well, then mix together with the sauce and sliced hot dogs. Mix well and pour into the baking dish.
- Top with the remaining 1 cup of cheese. Dot with 1 Tbsp butter.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden and bubbly.
- Garnish with bacon crumbles and sliced green onion. Serve immediately.