This mouthwatering Hot Dog Cheesy Macaroni Casserole takes macaroni and cheese to a new level. It’s a one dish meal packed with all-beef hot dogs and jumbo elbow macaroni that’s smothered in a homemade bacon cheese sauce. It’s a dish that kids of all ages will love.
Easy Hot Dog Cheesy Macaroni Casserole Recipe
Casseroles are a great love of mine in particularly for weekday meals and potlucks. One dish meals like Supreme Pizza Tortellini Bake and Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole are among our very favorites. They are typically able to be assembled in advance, chilled and ready to bake when we’re ready to eat. I especially love it if there’s one that’s filled with as much flavor as this cheesy goodness. How to do you make Macaroni and Cheese with hot dogs:
- Macaroni – Jumbo elbow macaroni or classic elbow pasta.
- Hot Dogs – Beef hot dogs. Recommend Nathan’s or similar.
- Bacon – Six slices classic bacon that’s been cooked and crumbled.
- Cheese – Shredded sharp cheddar cheese.
- Sauce – Milk, butter, reserved bacon drippings, all purpose flour and onion.
- Seasonings – Garlic salt, ground mustard and black pepper.
- Garnish – Green onions.
How to Make the BEST Hot Dog Cheesy Macaroni Casserole
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade Hot Dog Cheesy Macaroni Casserole: Hot dogs, jumbo elbow macaroni or classic elbow macaroni, shredded cheddar cheese, bacon, butter, onion, ground mustard, garlic salt, black pepper, whole milk and green onions.
- Kitchen tools you’ll need: Pasta pot or large pot for cooking the macaroni, cheese grater, large bowl, measuring cups and spoons, sharp knife and chopping board and 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
- When making this dish, I highly recommend that you use a premium hot dog for the best end result. Go with a brand that you enjoy and you’ll be good to go.
- I use jumbo elbow macaroni in this recipe just because we love it. Please note that classic elbow macaroni will work as well.
- If you use a large pot to make the pasta, it could double as the mixing bowl.
- I highly recommend grating your own cheese for this casserole. Bagged cheese has been coated to keep the shreds from sticking together and can cause the sauce to separate.
- The cheese sauce is has a hint of smoke from the bacon added for flavor which just happens to be a combination of two of their favorite things to eat.
- The gooey cheddar bacon cheese sauce is homemade and honestly it takes this dish over-the-top.
- Serve this Cheesy Macaroni Casserole with a side of Fried Green Beans, Lima Beans or a simple bag of your favorite steamed vegetables. A Seven Layer Salad would be a stellar option as well.
- You can keep this Hot Dog Cheesy Macaroni Casserole chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in single servings in the microwave.
More Easy Casserole Recipes to Make
- The family will flip for this Sloppy Joe Casserole.
- Easy Chicken and Rice Casserole is always a win and it won’t break the bank to make.
- Ravioli Casserole is easier to make than classic lasagna for a weekday feast.
- Stuffed Pepper Casserole is packed with flavor and colors, too.
- Lobster Macaroni and Cheese will turn any meal into something special.
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Mac and Cheese is a one dish meal.
- Slow Cooker John Wayne Casserole from The Magical Slow Cooker.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Hot Dog Cheesy Macaroni Casserole
- 1 16 oz box jumbo or classic elbow macaroni
- 6 slices bacon cooked and crumbled, reserve 2 Tbsp drippings
- 7 Tbsp butter divided
- 1 small sweet onion diced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp garlic salt
- 2 tsp ground mustard
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 4 cup whole milk
- 4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese divided
- 8 bun length quality all-beef hot dogs. 1/4 inch slice i.e. Nathan’s
- 2 green onion thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 12 x 8 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Cook the macaroni in salted water per the package directions until al dente. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, in a separate pan over medium-high heat add 6 Tbsp of butter to reserved 2 Tbsp bacon drippings. Add onion.
- Cook for 3 minutes until the onion has softened. Lower the heat to medium and add the flour, garlic salt, mustard and black pepper. Stir until the flour has absorbed the butter. Cook stirring constantly for 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in the milk. Bring to a boil then immediately lower the temperature to low heat. Allow to bubble gently for 5 minutes to thicken.
- Remove sauce from heat. Add 3 cups cheddar cheese and crumbled bacon. Reserve 2 Tbsp crumbled bacon for garnishing. Stir until the cheese has melted.
- Pour sauce over macaroni. Add hot dogs. Mix until macaroni is evenly coated and hot dogs are evenly distributed. Pour into the baking dish.
- Top with the remaining 1 cup of cheese. Dot with 1 Tbsp butter.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden and bubbly.
- Garnish with bacon crumbles and sliced green onion. Serve immediately.