Creamy Mac and Cheese Pie
This Creamy Mac and Cheese Pie topped with Roma tomatoes and a crispy garlic Parmesan topping is a company worthy dish. Macaroni and cheese in the form of a pie? Oh my, so unbelievably good!! My little boy is always asking me to make macaroni and cheese pizza and for some reason, I've never been able to bring myself to make a pizza that way. However, the thought of a mac and cheese pie with a crispy thin crust, and topped with delicious juicy plum tomatoes and a Parmesan crust? Well, that sounded incredibly good to me, and this main dish delicacy was the result. It's a dish that pleases vegetarians ans carnivores alike.
Helpful Tips for Making Creamy Macaroni and Cheese Pie
- While this dish does require several steps to make, don't be intimidated by the ingredient list. All of the ingredients are simple pantry staples used in a new way.
- It's important not to overcook the macaroni initially. Cook it until al dente then you'll end up with the best texture after baking.
- You can adapt with the variety of cheese you have handy, if desired.
- I used a refrigerated pie crust for this savory pie, and it worked well, due to the fact they're thinner by nature. If you'd like to make your own, checkout my Flaky Pie Crust Recipe.
- You may also enjoy this recipe for Two Bite Mac and Cheese Cups from Fifteen Spatulas. and 16 Sensational Ways To Make Macaroni and Cheese on Parade.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Creamy Macaroni and Cheese Pie
- 2 medium plum tomatoes
- Crumb topping:
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 Tbsp chopped Italian parsley
- 1 Tbsp butter melted
- Macaroni and Cheese filling:
- 1 9-inch pie crust refrigerated, frozen or homemade
- 1 cup dry elbow macaroni
- 1 large egg
- 4 Tbsp butter
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp onion powder
- black pepper to taste
- 1 ¾ cup whole milk
- 2 cups shredded white cheddar cheese divided
- 2 cups shredded Havarti cheese divided
- Slice the plum tomatoes into ¼ inch slices and place on doubled paper towels. Sprinkle each lightly with sea salt and press another paper towel on top. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Crumb topping: In a small mixing bowl, toss together bread crumbs, Parmesan, garlic and parsley with butter. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly spritz a 9-inch deep dish pie or tart pan with cooking spray. Fit the pie crust firmly into the pan and flute edges or press with the tines of a fork.
- Meanwhile, In a medium stove top pot cook the macaroni in salted water per the instructions on the box until al dente. Drain well. Set aside to cool slightly, then add egg. Stir until coated.
- To make cheese sauce: In a 2 quart saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add flour, Dijon salt and onion powder. Whisk until combined then cook on low for 1 minute.
- Gradually add milk, whisking constantly. After all of the milk has been incorporated, bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. Lower the heat immediately, and let the mixture slowly bubble for 3-5 minutes until it's thickened. Stir periodically to avoid sticking.
- Add 1 cup each of the grated Havarti and sharp white cheddar cheese. Stir until melted.
- Remove the cheese sauce from the heat and add to the cooked macaroni-egg mixture. Mix until evenly coated.
- Spread the macaroni and cheese evenly into pie shell. Top with ½ of the remaining shredded cheese.
- Arrange the tomato slices on top of the cheese, sprinkling with remaining ½ cup cheese. Sprinkle buttered crumbs on top.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes. Allow pie to stand for 10 minutes then, cut and serve.
- To make the most of your time in the kitchen. grate the cheese when you begin preparing the tomato slices, then cover and refrigerate until you're ready to make the cheese sauce.
- Make the cheese sauce, while the macaroni is cooking.