My little boy is always asking me to make macaroni and cheese pizza…for some reason, I’ve never been able to bring myself to make a pizza that way.However, when my creative juices kicked into motion, the thought of a mac and cheese pie with a crispy thin crust, and topped with delicious juicy plum tomatoes and a Parmesan crust? Well, that sounded incredibly good to me, and this main dish delicacy was the result. My brother is a vegetarian, and I can’t wait to make this for him next time he comes to visit! And, my little boy? He’s very happy with the compromise!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Creamy Mac And Cheese Pie With Plum Tomatoes And Garlic Parmesan Crumb Topping
- 2 medium plum tomatoes
- For the crumb topping:
- 2 slices white bread crusts removed
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 Tbsp chopped Italian parsley
- 1 Tbsp butter melted
- For the pie:
- 1 9 inch pie crust refrigerated, frozen or homemade
- 1 cup dry elbow macaroni
- 1 large or x-large egg
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- black pepper to taste
- 1 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 [8 oz] block sharp white cheddar cheese shredded & divided
- 1 [8 oz] block creamy Havarti cheese shredded & divided
- Approximately 15-20 minutes before you begin, slice the plum tomatoes into 1/4 inch slices and place on doubled paper towels. Sprinkle each lightly with sea/ kosher salt and top with another paper towel. Press down gently.
- To make the crumb topping: Pulse the bread and parsley together in a food processor, to make the crumbs. Toss with the remaining ingredients until blended then set aside.
- To prepare the pie: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly spritz a 9-inch deep dish pie or tart pan with cooking spray. Fit the pie crust firmly into the pan.
- In a medium stove top pot cook the macaroni in salted water per the instructions on the box until al dente.
- Allow it to cool, then add 1 beaten egg to the macaroni. Stir until coated.
- To make the cheese sauce, over medium-high heat, melt 4 tablespoons of butter, then add 1/4 cup of all purpose flour, 2 teaspoons of Dijon mustard, 1 teaspoon of salt an d 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder. Whisk until combined then cook for 2 minutes.
- Slowly add the milk, whisking constantly. After all of the milk has been incorporated, bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. Lower the heat, and let the mixture slowly bubble for 3-5 minutes until it's thickened. Stir periodically to avoid sticking.
- Add 1 cup each of the grated Havarti and sharp white cheddar cheese. Stir until melted.
- Remove the cheese sauce from the heat and add to the cooked macaroni-egg mixture. Mix until evenly coated.
- Spread the macaroni and cheese evenly into the unbaked pie shell. Top with 1/2 of the remaining cheese.
- Arrange the tomato slices on top of the cheese, and sprinkle the last of the remaining cheese on top of the tomatoes.
- Sprinkle the crumb mixture evenly over the top.
- Bake for 38-40 minutes, being careful not to over bake the edges of the crust. Allow the pie to sit for 10 minutes before cutting.
To make the most of your time in the kitchen. grate the cheese when you begin preparing the tomato slices, then cover and refrigerate until you're ready to make the cheese sauce. Make the cheese sauce, while the macaroni is cooking.