My little boy is always asking me to make macaroni and cheese pizza…for some reason, I’ve never been able to bring myself to make a pizza that way.However, when my creative juices kicked into motion, the thought of a mac and cheese pie with a crispy thin crust, and topped with delicious juicy plum tomatoes and a Parmesan crust? Well, that sounded incredibly good to me, and this main dish delicacy was the result. My brother is a vegetarian, and I can’t wait to make this for him next time he comes to visit! And, my little boy? He’s very happy with the compromise!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Creamy Mac And Cheese Pie With Plum Tomatoes And Garlic Parmesan Crumb Topping
- 2 medium plum tomatoes
- For the crumb topping:
- 2 slices white bread crusts removed
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 Tbsp chopped Italian parsley
- 1 Tbsp butter melted
- For the pie:
- 1 9 inch pie crust refrigerated, frozen or homemade
- 1 cup dry elbow macaroni
- 1 large or x-large egg
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- black pepper to taste
- 1 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 [8 oz] block sharp white cheddar cheese shredded & divided
- 1 [8 oz] block creamy Havarti cheese shredded & divided
- Approximately 15-20 minutes before you begin, slice the plum tomatoes into 1/4 inch slices and place on doubled paper towels. Sprinkle each lightly with sea/ kosher salt and top with another paper towel. Press down gently.
- To make the crumb topping: Pulse the bread and parsley together in a food processor, to make the crumbs. Toss with the remaining ingredients until blended then set aside.
- To prepare the pie: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly spritz a 9-inch deep dish pie or tart pan with cooking spray. Fit the pie crust firmly into the pan.
- In a medium stove top pot cook the macaroni in salted water per the instructions on the box until al dente.
- Allow it to cool, then add 1 beaten egg to the macaroni. Stir until coated.
- To make the cheese sauce, over medium-high heat, melt 4 tablespoons of butter, then add 1/4 cup of all purpose flour, 2 teaspoons of Dijon mustard, 1 teaspoon of salt an d 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder. Whisk until combined then cook for 2 minutes.
- Slowly add the milk, whisking constantly. After all of the milk has been incorporated, bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. Lower the heat, and let the mixture slowly bubble for 3-5 minutes until it's thickened. Stir periodically to avoid sticking.
- Add 1 cup each of the grated Havarti and sharp white cheddar cheese. Stir until melted.
- Remove the cheese sauce from the heat and add to the cooked macaroni-egg mixture. Mix until evenly coated.
- Spread the macaroni and cheese evenly into the unbaked pie shell. Top with 1/2 of the remaining cheese.
- Arrange the tomato slices on top of the cheese, and sprinkle the last of the remaining cheese on top of the tomatoes.
- Sprinkle the crumb mixture evenly over the top.
- Bake for 38-40 minutes, being careful not to over bake the edges of the crust. Allow the pie to sit for 10 minutes before cutting.