These Hot Dogs On a Stick are reminiscent of the kind of fun-to-eat street food you might find at a carnival or a fair. They begin with frozen bread dough which makes them a cinch to make. They're fun-to-eat food.
Hot Dogs on a Stick
Food on a stick delights kids of all ages. These hot dogs are one of those quick and easy recipes that can double as as a snack or a casual meal. It never ceases to amaze me whose first to grab one of these to eat.
- This recipe takes so few ingredients, make sure you start with a quality hot dog. I'm a bit partial to Nathan's for these handheld hot dogs.
- These hot dogs are very much like pretzel dogs without the fuss thanks to frozen bread dough.
- The frozen bread dough that I used for this recipe are made by Rhodes brand. You can certainly use your favorite brand. Using thawed frozen dinner rolls gives them the flavor of being wrapped in pretzel dough and there's no bread making required.
- This is a fun project to get the kids involved in the preparation. This is the epitome of simple kid friendly food.
- I highly recommend that you serve these with a variety of seasoned ketchups and mustards and watch the kids go to town dipping them into their favorites. I'm willing to bet, it's the big kids that'll go first.
More Food on a Stick to Love
Food on a stick is a fun way to eat a variety of foods. If you love kabobs you may also enjoy these recipes:
- My Grilled Vegetable Kabobs with Garlic-Herb Butter is a terrific way to enjoy summer garden flavors.
- Sweet and Spicy Pineapple Chicken Kabobs served on a bed of rice is simple perfection.
- The consummate hot on on a stick, you may like to try my recipe for Homemade Corn Dogs.
- You may also like these fun recipes for Salad Snack on a Stick from Barefeet in the Kitchen
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Hot Dogs On A Stick
- 12 frozen dinner rolls thawed but still cold [i.e. Rhodes]
- 6 bun length hot dogs cut in half
- 3 slices thick cut cheddar cheese, cut in half 6 slices if wrapping all of the hot dogs
- 12 wooden skewers
- 1 large egg beaten
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- Ketchup and mustard for serving
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line 2 baking sheets with foil or parchment. If using foil, spritz with cooking spray. Set aside.
- On a non-stick surface, roll each dinner roll into a 10 inch rope.
- Wrap 6 of the hot dogs with cheese first and then dough. To do this, cut 3 slices of cheese in half and wrap 1 piece around the hot dog first, then spiral wrap with dough.
- For the remaining 6 hot dogs wrap only with dough.
- Begin at the bottom end of the hot dog and spiral wrap working to the top. Insert the skewer.
- Place onto the prepared cookie sheet. Brush the top and sides of each with egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden. Serve with ketchup and mustard for dipping. Yield: 12 hot dogs on a stick