Crispy and golden Hushpuppies are really cornbread in fritter form. to make them a simple batter is seasoned to perfection, with a little diced sweet onion then fried just before serving. A fish fry just wouldn't be complete without a basket full of hushpuppies and my family loves to enjoy them with many other meals as well. These crispy cornbread fritters are sure to be the star of any meal.
How Were Hushpuppies Named?
My Favorite Ways To Serve Hushpuppies
I'm not sure there's a wrong time to serve hushpuppies. Naturally, they're spectacular with fish and seafood but, they also go well with barbecue, grilled chicken or as an appetizer at a backyard soiree. You can serve hushpuppies with a side of honey butter or a dipping sauce such as comeback sauce. They're sweet and soft on the inside and crispy on the outside. I often refer to them as "hush yo mouth puppies" they're just that good.
Other Hush yo' Mouth Puppies to try:
- Crab Hush Puppies from right here on MSSK
- Shrimp Hush Puppies from Our State Magazine
- Polish Hush Puppies from Foodie with Family
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
- 1 cup plain yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 ½ tsp seafood seasoning [i.e. Seafood Magic Old Bay or similar]
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp granulated garlic
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 medium sweet onion finely diced
- 6 cup peanut or vegetable oil for frying [approximately]
- Sift together the yellow cornmeal, all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, seafood seasoning, salt, granulated garlic and onion powder
- Whisk together the egg and buttermilk.
- Add to the dry ingredients with the onion. Mix until fully moistened.
- Let the batter rest on the counter while the oil heats.
- Heat the oil to 350°F. Use a Tbsp or 2 oz ice cream scoop to divide the dough. Fry in batches, carefully dropping into the hot oil.
- Cook for around 4 minutes, turning as needed for even browning.
- Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain.
- Season lightly with additional seafood seasoning immediately after removing them from the oil. Keep warm until serving.