This recipe for crispy golden homemade Hushpuppies is certain to become a family favorite. To make them a simple batter is seasoned to perfection then deep fried just before serving. These crispy cornbread fritters are sure to be the star of any meal.
Easy Southern Hushpuppies Recipe
How to Make the Best Hushpuppies Recipe
A fish fry just wouldn’t be complete without a basket full of hushpuppies and my family loves to enjoy them with many other meals as well. I’m not sure there’s a wrong time to serve hushpuppies. Naturally, they’re a perfect fit to serve with any kind of fried, steamed or grilled fish and seafood. Apart from that hushpuppies also go well with pork, beef or chicken barbecue, grilled entrees or as an appetizer with a variety of dipping sauces or butter for your next backyard soiree.
- What are hushpuppies made of? To make this recipe you’ll need plain yellow cornmeal, all purpose flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, seafood seasoning, granulated garlic, onion powder, diced onion, egg, buttermilk and oil for frying.
- What oil is best for frying? You can use vegetable oil or peanut oil for this recipe.
- You can adapt this homemade hushpuppies recipe using self rising yellow cornmeal and self rising flour in the same amounts. When doing so, omit the baking powder and salt, but use the baking soda called for in the recipe.
- Can hushpuppies be made in an air fryer? This type of sticky batter doesn’t do quite as well in an air fryer. I recommend sticking with deep frying for authentic hushpuppies. That being said, you can reheat them in an air fryer.
- How do you reheat hushpuppies? You can reheat them in the microwave for a few seconds. Please note, they won’t be quite as crispy when reheating leftovers.
- How do you reheat them in an air fryer? While this recipe isn’t adapted for an air fryer you can certainly reheat and crisp cooked hushpuppies again in an air fryer. To do so, place them into the air fryer basket and cook at 365°F for 2-3 minutes. Adjust with the time adding more from that point depending on how your appliance performs. Serve immediately.
- What do you serve with hushpuppies? You can serve hushpuppies with a side of honey butter, a spicy aioli or with a dipping sauce such as Comeback Sauce.
Other Southern Cornbread Recipes to Make
This hushpuppy recipe results in sweet and soft on the inside and crispy on the outside, bite size cornbread fritter. I often refer to them as “hush yo mouth puppies” they’re just that good!
- This old fashioned Hot Water Cornbread can be made in minutes.
- Transform leftover barbecue into this Pulled Pork Stuffed Cornbread.
- Skillet Honey Cornbread is the perfect side dish for a bowl of soup or pinto beans.
- During garden season, whip up this Okra Cornbread.
- A stunning twist, you’ll love my recipe for Sweet Potato Cornbread.
- Sweet Cornbread Shrimp Cakes from Martha White.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
- 1 cup plain yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp seafood seasoning [i.e. Seafood Magic Old Bay or similar]
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 medium sweet onion finely diced
- 6 cups peanut or vegetable oil for frying [approximately]
- Sift together the yellow cornmeal, all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, seafood seasoning, salt, granulated garlic and onion powder
- Whisk together the egg and buttermilk.
- Add to the dry ingredients with the onion. Mix until fully moistened.
- Let the batter rest on the counter while the oil heats.
- Heat the oil to 350°F. Use a Tbsp or 2 oz ice cream scoop to divide the dough. Fry in batches, carefully dropping into the hot oil.
- Cook for around 4 minutes, turning as needed for even browning.
- Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain.
- Season lightly with additional seafood seasoning immediately after removing them from the oil. Keep warm until serving.
- Place into the air fryer basket and cook at 365°F for 2-3 minutes.
- Adjust the time adding more from that point, depending on how your appliance performs.
- Serve immediately.