This Krispy Kreme Doughnut Bread Pudding is sheer decadence. Serve it warm topped with ice cream or whipped cream drizzled with a homemade buttered rum sauce for the finish.
Krispy Kreme Doughnut Bread Pudding
Krispy Kreme Doughnuts is an iconic Southern brand from right here in my neck of the woods in North Carolina. There's nothing like biting into a warm classic glazed doughnut and enjoying that melt in your mouth texture. Kids of all ages love it when the red neon "Hot Now" sign is lit up indicating dozens of warm doughnuts are ready for the taking. It's one of those thrilling small moments in life that makes them irresistible.
What You'll Need to Make Krispy Kreme Doughnut Bread Pudding
While no special equipment is needed other than standard kitchen tools, this is a run down of items to gather:
- A 3 quart baking dish of any shape. Round, rectangular or square. You could even bake this in a large cast iron skillet, if you like.
- A large mixing bowl
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Small saucepan
- Dessert dishes, bowls and ice cream scoop for serving
Helpful Tips for Making Krispy Kreme Doughnut Bread Pudding Recipe
- When making any bread pudding, day old bread or in this case doughnuts, is ideal and this bread pudding is no exception. Slightly stale or day old doughnuts will work perfectly.
- The glaze from the doughnuts lends a prominent flavor to the bread pudding making it ideal for serving warm with a scoop of ice cream.
- Should you prefer, the buttered rum sauce can be made in advance and reheated for serving.
- You may also prefer a drizzle of caramel or warmed dulce de leche if there's no time to make the buttered rum sauce.
- You can fully assemble this in advance cover and chill overnight or for several hours until baking. When chilled, allow 15 minutes or so on the counter to warm to room temperature and adjust the baking time, if needed.
- Other bread pudding recipes you may like to try: White Chocolate Blueberry Bread Pudding, Cinnamon Bun Bread Pudding and Pumpkin Spice Bread Pudding.
- You may also like this recipe for Chocolate Bread Pudding from Love Bakes Good Cakes.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Krispy Kreme Doughnut Bread Pudding
- 10 original glazed doughnuts (day old) cubed (cut each doughnut into 8 pieces)
- 2 cups whole milk or half and half
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 3 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 6 large eggs
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- Buttered Rum Sauce:
- ½ cup salted butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp light corn syrup
- 2 Tbsp dark rum
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- vanilla ice cream for serving
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg with eggs until fully combined. Add cubed doughnuts. Let sit for 15-20 minutes or until most of the custard has been absorbed. (Cut each doughnut into 8 pieces)
- To Bake: Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 3 quart round or rectangular 13 x 9 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Pour doughnut mixture evenly into baking dish. Bake for 35-45 minutes until puffed and lightly golden. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- To Make Buttered Rum Sauce: Meanwhile, Over medium-high heat, melt butter in a small saucepan. Add sugar, stirring until dissolved. Whisk in whipping cream, corn syrup, rum, and cinnamon. Heat while stirring until there's a gentle bubbling, then lower heat and simmer for 3-5 minutes. Keep warm until serving.
- Serve topped with buttered rum sauce and a scoop of vanilla ice cream.