The made from scratch Mexican Cornbread recipe is moist and filled with colors and flavor. Serve it with your favorite fiesta entrées, with chili, soup or a bowl of pinto beans.
Easy Mexican Cornbread Recipe
This Mexican Cornbread recipe is completely made from scratch. To make it, use a whisk to sift together plain yellow cornmeal with flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add seasonings per the recipe then toss with Mexican corn, green onions, green chiles and a heaping helping of shredded colby jack cheese. In a separate bowl, whisk together cream corn with buttermilk, eggs and melted butter. Add the wet to the bowl with the dry ingredients then mix until fully moistened. Pour it into a baking dish, sprinkle with cheese then bake until it's puffed and golden.
How to Make the BEST Mexican Cornbread Recipe
- Ingredients you'll need to make Mexican Cornbread: Plain yellow cornmeal, all purpose flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, granulated garlic, onion powder, ground cumin, Mexican corn, cream corn, diced green chiles, green onions, buttermilk, melted butter and shredded colby jack or cheddar cheese.
- Kitchen tools you'll need: One large bowl, one medium bowl, whisk, measuring cups and spoons, 9 x 9 inch nonstick baking dish or cake pan, cheese grater, sharp knife and cutting board.
- This recipe is completely made from scratch so don't stress over the ingredient list. You likely have most of these items already available in your pantry.
- You can use self rising cornmeal and self rising flour in this recipe. When doing so, omit the baking powder, baking soda and salt. If you choose to use one or the other, the leavening would need to be adjusted and not omitted.
- You could use frozen Mexican corn in this recipe but it needs to be thawed and drained well prior to adding to the batter.
- You can use one medium chopped jalapeno pepper in place of green chiles in this recipe, if desired.
- For extra kick you can use pepper jack cheese in the same amount as colby jack cheese. You could also use cheddar or any flavor of cheese that you enjoy.
- How do you make your own buttermilk? To one cup of whole milk add one tablespoon of fresh lemon juice or white distilled vinegar. Let stand for 5-10 minutes, then stir and proceed with the recipe.
- Store Mexican Cornbread wrapped in foil or in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat in single servings in the microwave.
- You can freeze after cooling completely for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
More Southern Cornbread Recipes to Make
- Skillet Honey Cornbread has a slightly sweet flavor that complements any meal.
- Chili Chorizo Cornbread is laced with cooked chorizo for a pop of flavor.
- These Corn Muffins are terrific for single servings and they freeze well, too.
- My recipe for Crackling Cornbread is the only one you'll ever need.
- Hot Water Cornbread only requires 4 ingredients to make and it's fried.
- Broccoli Cheese Cornbread will have the kiddos eating they're vegetables and loving it.
- Keto Cornbread from The Big Man's World.
THANKS FOR VISITING COME BACK SOON!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
- 2 cups plain yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 ½ cups shredded colby jack or cheddar cheese divided use
- 1 10 oz can Mexican corn well drained
- 1 4 oz can diced green chiles well drained
- 4 medium green onions finely chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup cream style corn
- 1 cup buttermilk room temperature
- ¼ cup unsalted butter melted
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Butter the sides and bottom of a 9 x 9 inch non-stick baking pan or spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, use a whisk to sift together yellow cornmeal, all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda, granulated garlic, onion powder and ground cumin.
- To the bowl add 2 cups shredded cheese, Mexican corn, green chiles and green onions. Mix until evenly distributed.
- In a separate medium bowl whisk together buttermilk, cream corn, melted butter and eggs.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix until all of the ingredients are fully moistened.
- Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with reserved shredded cheese.
- Bake the cornbread for 35-40 minutes or until the top is golden and a toothpick inserted into the center shows moist crumbs..
- Rest for 10 minutes then cut into squares and serve.
- You can use self rising yellow cornmeal and self rising flour in this recipe. When doing so, omit the baking powder, baking soda and salt.