This Broccoli Cheese Cornbread is one of those homestyle dishes made in Southern kitchens for many years. Inspired by a recipe in an old church cookbook that I have this variation is a bit of an update on the original. Filled with steamed broccoli florets, seasonings and plenty of sharp cheddar cheese it bakes tender and packed with flavor.
This is my own version inspired by a recipe from an old church cookbook that I have, filled with Southern potluck favorites. I dare say, I probably never attended a church potluck supper that someone didn’t bring some variation of a broccoli casserole to share. In fact, there were usually several types to choose from. This recipe was inspired by the original with a few added twists to update it and make it my own. The original broccoli cheese cornbread as seen in the cookbook used cottage cheese in place of the garlic-herb cheese, and no cheddar cheese or seasonings at all. Moist doesn’t begin to describe the texture, and my son, who claims that he doesn’t like broccoli, loves this broccoli cheese cornbread casserole. See also Okra Cornbread, Stuffed Mexican Cornbread and other tasty cornbread recipes in the recipe index here.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Broccoli Cheese Cornbread
- 1 1/2 cups steamed broccoli florets roughly chopped
- 1 6.5 oz container light garlic-herb spreadable cheese
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1 small sweet onion finely diced
- 2 cups shredded sharp white cheddar cheese divided
- 1 8.5 oz box cornbread mix [Martha White or Jiffy]
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and butter a 7 x 11 inch (2 Quart) baking dish. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together, the steamed broccoli, garlic-herb cheese spread, 4 eggs, melted butter and finely diced onion until blended.
- Add 1 cup of cheddar cheese, cornbread mix and seasonings. Stir until combined.
- Pour into the prepared dish and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Place into the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes until golden and you see moist crumbs on a toothpick inserted into the center.