This Broccoli Cheese Cornbread is one of those homestyle dishes made in Southern kitchens for many years. Inspired by a recipe in an old church cookbook that I have this variation is a bit of an update on the original. Filled with steamed broccoli florets, seasonings and plenty of sharp cheddar cheese it bakes tender, cheesy and packed with flavor.
Broccoli Cheese Cornbread is an Update on a Classic
Potluck classics like this cheesy cornbread are always a happy sight on our dinner table. This variation is my own inspired by a recipe from an old church cookbook that I have, filled with Southern potluck favorites. I dare say, I probably never attended a church potluck supper that someone didn't bring some variation of a broccoli casserole to share. In fact, there were usually several types to choose from. This recipe was inspired by the original with a few added twists to update it and make it my own.
Tips and Tricks for Making Broccoli Cheese Cornbread
- The garlic-herb seasoned cheese in this recipe is spreadable such as Boursin or Alouette.
- You can adapt using regular cheddar cheese in place of white cheddar, if that's what you have on hand.
- The original broccoli cheese cornbread as seen in the cookbook I referenced used cottage cheese in place of the garlic-herb cheese.
- It also called for no shredded cheddar cheese or seasonings at all. These additions elevate the flavor of this cornbread giving it a super moist texture.
- You may also like to try my recipes for Okra Cornbread, Stuffed Mexican Cornbread and many other tasty cornbread recipes in the MSSK recipe index here.
- You may also like this Chicken and Cornbread Casserole recipe from Bread, Booze and Bacon.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Broccoli Cheese Cornbread
- 1 ½ cups steamed broccoli florets roughly chopped
- 1 6.5 oz container light garlic-herb spreadable cheese i.e. Boursin or Alouette
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup butter melted
- 1 small sweet onion finely diced
- 2 cups shredded sharp white cheddar cheese divided
- 1 8.5 oz box cornbread mix [Martha White or Jiffy]
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp dry mustard
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and butter a 11 x 7 inch (2 Quart) baking dish. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together, the steamed broccoli, garlic-herb cheese spread, 4 eggs, melted butter and finely diced onion until blended.
- Add 1 cup of cheddar cheese, cornbread mix and seasonings. Stir until combined.
- Pour into the prepared dish and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Place into the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes until golden and you see moist crumbs on a toothpick inserted into the center.