This easy Oven Baked Rice recipe only requires 4 ingredients to make. The simple oven steaming cooking technique results in perfectly cooked rice every time.
Easy Oven Baked Rice Recipe
Rice is such a versatile side dish to make and goes with so many entrees we love in the South. Low country cooking, Creole and Cajun and beyond call for rice in one form or another. In the early years, rice was grown primarily in the Gulf and South Atlantic states. Currently the largest producer of rice in the United States is Arkansas with rice being grown in more than half of the counties in the state. Rice is also a staple worldwide that’s enjoyed across many cultures and cuisines. This oven baked rice recipe takes the hassle out of making rice and it steams covered in the oven. It’s simple and doesn’t require constant attention to make.
How to Make the Best Oven Baked Rice Recipe
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade Oven Baked Rice: 2 cups long grain rice, i.e. Uncle Ben’s or similar, 4 cups boiling water, 2 tablespoons butter and 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Kitchen gadgets you’ll need: A 3 quart Dutch oven with a lid or similar size 13 x 9 inch baking dish, a large spoon for stirring, measuring cups and spoons and a fork for fluffing the rice after cooking.
- The best type of dish to make oven rice is one that has a snug fitting lid. That said, you can also use a baking dish tightly sealed with heavy duty aluminum foil.
- You can easily adapt this recipe making less rice or more rice depending on your desired number of servings.
- You can use chicken stock or broth in place of water. Low sodium is best.
- You can add other seasonings to the rice. Things such as granulated garlic, saffron or turmeric, or herbs such as tarragon or thyme. You can even add lemon zest to infuse citrus into the flavor.
- You can also use basmati rice, jasmine rice and brown rice. Each type of rice cooks slightly differently and the liquid may need to be adjusted. Use this recipe for long grain rice as a starting point and adjust depending on the type of rice being used.
- Store leftover Oven Baked Rice chilled in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or cool and freeze for up to 2 months.
Southern Style Recipes to Serve with Rice
As I mentioned above, rice goes with so many delicious main dishes that we all love. A few you recipes you may like to try to go with this oven baked rice recipe:
- Sweet and sticky Bourbon Chicken.
- Sesame Beef and Broccoli is a natural fit sprinkled with toasted sesame seeds.
- Smothered Chicken and Gravy goes as well with rice as it does mashed potatoes to soak up that gravy.
- Smothered Steak Tips with Creamy Mushrooms and Onions ladled over a big bowl of rice is a one dish meal.
- Easy Shrimp Creole with a rich tomato gravy.
- Add it to this recipe for Copycat PF Chang’s Lettuce Wraps from Averie Cook’s.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Oven Baked Rice
- 2 cups long grain rice i.e. Uncle Ben's
- 4 cups boiling water
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Pour rice and salt into a 3 quart Dutch oven or baking dish.
- Melt butter in boiling water. Add to rice, stir well.
- Cover tightly and bake for 30-35 minutes. (Check at 30 minutes and stir, if needed)
- Let stand 5 minutes on the counter or just until all liquid is absorbed.
- Fluff with a fork and serve. (Makes approximately 6 cups cooked rice or twelve 1/2 cup servings)